* [Caml-list] Bigarray is a pig
@ 2004-07-23 20:36 Brandon J. Van Every
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2004-07-23 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

I have been looking at the sources of the Bigarray implementation.  I am
chagrined to discover that not only does Bigarray cost a function call
per array element access, but a number of additional piggish things
happen per access.  To C/C++ programmers interested in performance, this
defeats the purpose of using unboxed array elements.  If I wanted to pay
function call overhead per element, for instance when communicating with
OpenGL, I'd simply call functions.

I am wondering if there is some way to present a block of C memory to
OCaml, and then have OCaml use it directly?  If so, I could envision
writing up something I'd call 'Fastarray'.  But I'm interested in any
pitfalls you might see, such as range check requirements.

In other news, I've been trying and trying to announce the next ML
S*attle meeting on Tuesday, July 27th.   E-mail me for details.  These
anti-spam filters are maddening.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com
Brand*n Van Every               S*attle, WA

Praise Be to the caml-list Bayesian filter! It blesseth
my postings, it is evil crap!  evil crap!  evil crap!