* [Caml-list] ocaml-advocacy group
@ 2004-07-13 10:06 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-07-13 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

This group is for "anything goes" discussion, advocacy and arguments
about the Objective CAML (OCaml) programming language.

Relevant subjects for discussion are the continued growth of OCaml,
the marketing and business of OCaml, licenses, features, problems,
etc.

[In other words, stuff which is off-topic on caml-list]

Rich.

MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,
RPMs, pkgs etc. Linux, BSD, Solaris. http://www.annexia.org/freeware/makeplus/

* RE: [Caml-list] ocaml-advocacy group
@ 2004-07-13 11:08 ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2004-07-13 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

Richard Jones wrote:

> Relevant subjects for discussion are the continued growth of OCaml,
> the marketing and business of OCaml, licenses, features, problems,
> etc.
>
> [In other words, stuff which is off-topic on caml-list]

I won't be joining.  For one thing, I don't believe in unilateral
efforts on serious subjects such as the marketing, business, and
popularization of a language.  I don't think any serious-minded
businessperson would accept *-advocacy as the designation of the list.
It doesn't look good on a business card or a PowerPoint slide.

Do you have anybody in the OCaml community who takes business issues
fairly seriously?  I'd like to talk to them, if they exist.  If they
don't... well, languages do have to evolve through several stages on
their way to industrialization.

What's the Caml Consortium's role?  Do they have any process resembling
an open source effort?  Organization of marketing / biz is extant (if
not always successful) in the Python and Perl communities, and probably
the other usual language suspects.

I am quite familiar with techies who hate discussing business.  I don't
mind talking about it somewhere else.  But it should be done somewhere,
and not on some joke list.  Maybe it is time to consider whether
caml-list alone is sufficient for all of OCaml's strategic objectives.

We may not share strategic objectives.  I'm quite familiar with people
in the Python crowd who want their language to remain as small and
unknown as possible.

Brand*n Van Every           S*attle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur