* Closed Objects
@ 1996-09-12 19:22 Andrew Conway
From: Andrew Conway @ 1996-09-12 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear Caml Implementors,

I was wondering if you could give some comments upon the interactions
of classes returning self, type coercions, inheritance and closedness.

In particular, I do not understand the rules on closedness.

I was trying to make a "list like" class, and found the following
effects:

(* Base list class. Has no "head", but I am not interested about
   storing data in it yet. This works in ocaml 1.00 and 1.01.

   The "myself" method will usually be "self", but occasionally
   (in some subclasses) it will refer to something else.

 *)

class virtual runaround () as self : 'a =
    virtual null : bool
    virtual next : runaround
    virtual myself : runaround
end;;

(* Add a method. This DOESN'T compile in ocaml 1.01, but
   did compile in ocaml 1.00. The error message says that it
   is closed, but not marked closed.

   I don't want it to be closed. Is it impossible to return "self"
   in a non-closed class?

 *)

class virtual run2 () as self =
    inherit runaround ()
    method myself = (self :> runaround)
end;;

(* the sort of way things would be used (works without "myself") *)

class stop () as self =
    inherit run2 ()
    method null = true
    method next = invalid_arg "stop"
    method junk = 6
end;;

class go n as self =
    inherit runaround ()
    val storen = n
    method null = false
    method next = storen
    method myself = (self :> runaround)
end;;

let s = new stop ();;
let ss = (s :> runaround) ;;

let g = new go ss;;
let gg = new go g;;

let rec laps x =
	if x#null then 0 else 1 + laps x#next
;;

laps g;;
laps gg;;

* Re: Closed Objects
@ 1996-09-13 12:31 ` Jerome Vouillon
From: Jerome Vouillon @ 1996-09-13 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Conway; +Cc: caml-list

> class virtual runaround () as self : 'a =
>     virtual null : bool
>     virtual next : runaround
>     virtual myself : runaround
> end;;
>
> (* Add a method. This DOESN'T compile in ocaml 1.01, but
>    did compile in ocaml 1.00. The error message says that it
>    is closed, but not marked closed.
>
>    I don't want it to be closed. Is it impossible to return "self"
>    in a non-closed class?
>
>  *)
>
> class virtual run2 () as self =
>     inherit runaround ()
>     method myself = (self :> runaround)
> end;;

Coercion operator ( e :> t ) is not always general enough. What it does is
guess a type t' subtype of t independant of expression e, and then checks
the type of expression e is an instance of type t'. For instance, if
t = <x : int>, then t' = <x : int; ..>. In this case, any subtype of t is
an instance of type t'. But this is not always the case. Consider type
t = <x : 'a> as 'a. The types <x : 'b; y : int> as 'b and
<x : t; y : int> are both subtypes of this type, but they are not
instances of a common subtype of type t. So, one have to use a heuristic
to find a type t' that works in most cases (I have changed the algorithm
between ocaml 1.00 and ocaml 1.01, that's why your example compiles with
the first version, but not with the second version).

Let us come back to your example. You can see here the type t' guessed:
#fun x -> (x :> runaround);;
- : (< null : bool; next : 'a; myself : 'a; .. > as 'a) -> runaround = <fun>
    \_________________________________________________/
                        t'
If you unify type t' with the type of self in class run2, you will get
type runaround. Indeed, method myself of self has type runaround, so
  runaround = 'a            (unification of types of myself)
            = type of self
The type runaround is closed, hence the error message.

The workaround is to use the more general coercion operator ( e : t' :> t )
when the other one fails.
  #class virtual run2 () as self =
  #    inherit runaround ()
  #    method myself = (self : #runaround :> runaround)
  #end;;
  class virtual run2 (unit) =
    method myself : runaround
    virtual null : bool