* Re: [Caml-list] Suggestion (was: Demande clarification nomenclature ocaml*)
@ 2004-03-19 10:19 Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons
From: Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons @ 2004-03-19 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

    Bonjour,

> While waiting for nested namespaces one could do namespace-by-convention. One
> would keep INRIA (or possibly something convenient and shorter) as prefix for
> INRIA OCaml stuff, leaving other useful prefixes for the normal people. This
> namespace could then be maintained in a perlish style. Reading this list from
> time to time it is quite clear that there is a number of people who mail a
> lot to this list, who know a lot about OCaml (as far as I can judge this as
> someone who knows little about OCaml), and who would be suitable for being
> maintainers of the toplevel namespace.

Je ne comprends pas votre point : je ne parle pas d'espace de noms a
l'interieur d'un langage de programmation mais de noms exterieurement
visibles. Chez nos collegues de Haskell, leurs bibliotheques
s'appellent DData, Edison, Pancito, etc. et non HaskellDataLib,
HaskellDataLib et HaskellImages.

        Diego Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] Suggestion (was: Demande clarification nomenclature ocaml*)
@ 2004-03-19 10:38 ` Wolfgang Müller
From: Wolfgang Müller @ 2004-03-19 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons; +Cc: caml-list

On Friday 19 March 2004 11:19, Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons wrote:
> Chez nos collegues de Haskell, leurs bibliotheques
> s'appellent DData, Edison, Pancito, etc. et non HaskellDataLib,
> HaskellDataLib et HaskellImages.

Thanks for posting this to the list.

Est-ce d'appeler un librairie "PierreAndre" au lieu de
"InformationRetrievalTools" augmente son utilite? J'ai des doutes.

DData carries sufficent semantics, however Edison did too diverse things to
tell me anything about the library (Yes, it must be a media player
(phonograph) or is it rather something to choose screen brightness
(lightbulb) ) . I really do not think names like that are the way to go.

And Pancito is Spanish for Images??

Cheers,
Wolfgang

* Re: [Caml-list] Suggestion (was: Demande clarification nomenclature ocaml*)
@ 2004-03-19  9:49 ` Wolfgang Müller
From: Wolfgang Müller @ 2004-03-19  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons, caml-list

[2nd try. The first went to DOFP only]

> La communaute ne semble meme pas capable de se mettre d'accord sur la
> nomenclature de ses bibliotheques. Verra-t-on ensuite une querelle
> pour savoir qui detient le veritable "ocamlmakefile", "ocamlxml" ou
> encore "ocamlyacc" ?
>
> Il me semble raisonnable que l'utilisateur ait une vision claire de ce
> qui est officiellement developpe par l'INRIA et de ce qui ne l'est
> pas.
>
> Raison pour laquelle il me semble que l'INRIA devrait etre plus
> vigilant au sujet de la nomenclature, par exemple en affirmant sa
> primaute sur le suffixe ocaml* en demandant aux autres bibliotheques
> de migrer vers caml* telle CamlImages, ou encore en demandant aux
> contributeurs d'eviter des noms equivoques tels ExtLib.
>
> Je me trouve apres coup bien aimable de n'avoir pas nomme Baire plutot
> OCamlStdLib : c'est bien plus vendeur.
>
>         Diego Olivier
En fait, tout le monde parle Francais ici?

To get back to the perl example:

This is a point where a *central* repository for libraries with good search
feature is important. For example: I once had a neat way of writing
(creating, parsing) simplified DOM trees in Perl, and when I wanted to
publish it, I found out that there actually was a module doing practically
the same thing. So, unless you're unlucky and two people develop at home
during 2 years one library and then submit it within one week, there is not
much probability of unintentionally duplicated work within Perl.

However, for toplevel namespaces, you have to write to a mailing list, and
there is a group of people who decide if to accept the new toplevel namespace
or not. This is a (AFAIK also known) bottleneck..

My suggestion:
___
While waiting for nested namespaces one could do namespace-by-convention. One
would keep INRIA (or possibly something convenient and shorter) as prefix for
INRIA OCaml stuff, leaving other useful prefixes for the normal people. This
namespace could then be maintained in a perlish style. Reading this list from
time to time it is quite clear that there is a number of people who mail a
lot to this list, who know a lot about OCaml (as far as I can judge this as
someone who knows little about OCaml), and who would be suitable for being
maintainers of the toplevel namespace.

Sounds good?

Cheers,
Wolfgang