From: Patrick M Doane <patrick@watson.org>
To: "John L. Masson" <john.masson@worthmedia.net>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] FORT (or other test frameworks)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:09:26 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Hi John,

On 12 Sep 2001, John L. Masson wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Is anyone here using FORT? Does anyone have any examples or
> documentation for it?
>
> I've read, and I thought understood, the source, but I can't get a
> testscript to run.
>
> If I just pass it to the 'fort' executable (i.e. 'fort testsuite.ml'),
> the Fort module and its functions are not available to the script.

I would expect this to work... have you installed the executable? The
'fort' executable will need to find the bytecode data for the Fort module
and will search in the OCAMLLIB directory.

Also, inside testsuite.ml you will need to refer to the Fort functions
with a qualified prefix (e.g. Fort.test) or include an 'open Fort;;'
directive at the top.

> I can compile the script, and link to fort.cmo and fortmain.cmo, and
> this executable produces a report, but it shows no tests were run.
>
> If I don't link fortmain.cmo, nothing happens at all.

It may be worthwhile to think about linking Fort into an application, but
there is currently no way to separate the report generation from script
execution.

> What am I doing wrong?

If you're still having problems, feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks!

Patrick