From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@best.com>
To: Mattias Waldau <mattias.waldau@abc.se>
Cc: Caml-List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: Why can't I use val mover : < move : int -> unit; .. > list -> unit ?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:16:01 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Mattias Waldau wrote:

> In the example below I have two separate classes with no common
> super class. Both classes have a method 'move'.
>
> I have no problem using the function main below that can an
> arbitrary 'objects with move defined'. However, when I try to
> expand the example to list of objects with move defined, I
> cannot use this function.

The problem is sticking the objects into the list, not the function
"mover". Ocaml row polymorphism is a bit different than the OO you're
probably used to; you need to coerce the objects to the common supertype
before you put them in the list, so that they'll have the same type. Try
something like this

type t = < move : int -> unit >
let _ = mover [(p :> t) ; (q :> t)] (* Don't forget the parens! *)

You can write collection building functions which do this coercion for
you. Hope this helps...

-- Brian