* [Caml-list] good reference on modules?
@ 2001-03-14 20:09 Chris Hecker
From: Chris Hecker @ 2001-03-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Coming from a C++ background, my idea of a module is a text file on the hard disk.  Obviously, they're a bit more powerful than that in OCaml.  Is there a good reference (book, tutorial paper, website, whatever) that talks about modules in an in-depth way?  I've read the chapter 4 on them in the help materials, and I want more.  I was trying to understand the group example someone posted to the list a few days back, and I think I need to find a good book or something to understand the real power of modules.

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: [Caml-list] good reference on modules?
@ 2001-03-14 20:18 ` Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-03-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Hecker; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Chris Hecker wrote:

> Coming from a C++ background, my idea of a module is a text file on the hard disk.  Obviously, they're a bit more powerful than that in OCaml.  Is there a good reference (book, tutorial paper, website, whatever) that talks about modules in an in-depth way?  I've read the chapter 4 on them in the help materials, and I want more.  I was trying to understand the group example someone posted to the list a few days back, and I think I need to find a good book or something to understand the real power of modules.
>
> Thanks,

Some guy wrote a paper I found helpful, but the example code is in a very
strange language that nobody uses, instead of C++ or Java.

     * A modular module system, Journal of Functional Programming 10(3),
       2000. Full source code available in the Web appendix.

You can get it from here

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/

-- Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] good reference on modules?
@ 2001-03-20  8:32   ` Tom Hirschowitz
From: Tom Hirschowitz @ 2001-03-20  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Rogoff, caml-list

I liked too the three first chapters of Claudio Russo's thesis

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/cvr/ECS-LFCS-98-389.html

for a more abstract but very clear analysis.

I'm just reading the next ones at the moment.

@ 2001-03-20 17:10     ` Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-03-20 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hirschowitz; +Cc: caml-list