From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@best.com>
To: David Chemouil <David.Chemouil@irit.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Overloading again (Was Re: [Caml-list] Interfacing C++ and Ocaml)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:50:29 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, David Chemouil wrote:
> PS: BTW, I would like to thank these happy volunteers who aim at
> packaging a Caml Development Kit. IMO, this is truly a good idea, which
> may help Caml spread. Just a question to the Caml team: I would like to
> know if (when?) you intend to include polymorphic I/O and some kind of
> overloading in a forthcoming release of Caml. It seems to me Pierre had
> written some mails about this, but is is now a long time ago, how is the
> situation today?

An even longer time ago I asked about overloading and got a nice long
reply from Francois Rouaix, describing the history of overloading in Caml
and ending with something like "Jun Furuse is now working on it". You can
read about the latest incarnation of his work by going to

http://pauillac.inria.fr/jfla/2001/actes/index.html

and downloading

Generic Polymorphism in ML

which as you can guess is in English unlike his paper last year.

I'd also love to know if and when this will make it into Ocaml since this
is one of the few things that I dislike about ML style languages and
even after quite a bit of Caml programming I still miss overloading.

-- Brian