* [Caml-list] two unrelated questions
@ 2001-04-25 21:08 Chris Hecker
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Chris Hecker @ 2001-04-25 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

1.  What is the right "functional pattern" for early-outing on success
    while using an iter/map/fold type function?  Say I'm using iter to
    search for something in an opaque datastructure.  Should I throw
    an exception to get out, or is that bad style?  I guess this
    question only makes sense for iter, since map/fold produce results
    that you theoretically want to preserve.  So, the question is
    really, given an iter-style interface to a datastructure (one that
    takes an ('a -> unit)), how do you tell it to stop iterating?  I
    guess if the function was ('a -> bool) you could do it that way,
    but most iters aren't ((List|Array|Hashtbl).iter, for example).
    Is throwing an exception the best bet?

2.  I'm confused as to when the compiler decides to inline and when it
    doesn't.  None of the calls in the following program get inlined,
    regardless of the value of -inline in ocamlopt.  It seems so
    trivial, and in fact, I wrote it to show a friend how the compiler
    is really good (and after running dumpobj on the bytecode and
    looking at the asm from ocamlopt, we went and saw with dismay how
    Pervasives.fst and .snd are builtins and not inlined functions):

let a = 1,2

let myfst (a,b) = a
let mysnd (a,b) = b

let myfsti ((a,b):int*int) = a
let mysndi ((a,b):int*int) = b

let _ =
  myfst a + 1;
  1 + mysnd a;
  myfsti a;
  mysndi a

Chris

* RE: [Caml-list] two unrelated questions
@ 2001-05-01 17:25 Dave Berry
From: Dave Berry @ 2001-05-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue, bpr; +Cc: caml-list

Even a top level exception can escape its scope, e.g. if a signature doesn't
include an exception raised by one of the functions in the signature.  The
problem I (as an SMLer) cite most often is exceptions - not just local
exceptions - escaping their scope.

Having said that, I think it best to have two distinct features: exceptions
and breaks.  Exceptions are top-level, monomorphic, and comparatively easy
to track.  Breaks are declared in function bodies, potentially polymorphic,
and should be banned from exiting the scope of their declaration.  This
would entail limits on how breaks could be used, to make the flow control
tractable.  I don't know whether there is a suitable flow control algorithm
that would give reasonable flexibility while still ensuring this safety
requirement.