* RE: [Caml-list] CDK license
@ 2001-06-06 10:24 Dave Berry
From: Dave Berry @ 2001-06-06 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven LUTHER; +Cc: reig, caml-list

Yes.  If someone wishes to do that, they can.  Most people will choose
to make changes available, because it benefits them if the open source
library grows.  And if they don't, at least they are still using OCaml
libraries, and increasing the usage of OCaml.  To me, this far outweighs
any disadvantage.

> If someone wants to take my code, and not contribute back any
> changes they do, then by all means, they can pay me for a commercial
> licenced version.

This is unlikely to happen, although it depends on the terms you offer.
For one thing, the extra expense in negotiating the contract will put
many people off.  If you require a run-time, per-installation, license,
the extra cost may prevent someone from using the code.  This actually
happened with MLWorks -- the license of SML/TK required a run-time cost
that we simply couldn't afford.

For the CDK, the situation is even more complex.  There are many
authors, of many separate packages.  Negotiation and license
arrangements could be hideously complex.  This could encourage people to
develop their own counterparts, which would be a Bad Thing.

If your main aim is to protect your code from unwanted use, then go
ahead and use the GPL or LGPL.  If your main aim is to get your code
used as widely as possible, use a less restrictive license.  Surely the
aim of the CDK is to promote wide use, rather than to restrict it?

Dave.

* RE: [Caml-list] CDK license
@ 2001-06-06  9:44 Dave Berry
From: Dave Berry @ 2001-06-06  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven LUTHER, reig; +Cc: caml-list

I would encourage people to use an X/BSD-like license for code whereever
possible.  This license allows anyone to do anything whatsoever with the
code, provided that they keep the copyright notice and NO WARRANTY
notice.  It saves you all this hassle with determining what is and is
not allowed, and which code may be linked or distributed with which
other code.

>From a practical point of view, it allows a commercial organisation to
redistribute the code, and to include it with other products.  Assuming
you want OCaml to be used as widely as possible, this would be a Good
Thing.

I can understand why INRIA want the compiler itself to be under a more
restrictive license (although I still disagree with that decision).  For
libraries, the argument doesn't hold.  The main requirement is to get
them used as widely as possible, with as few restrictions as possible on
their use.

* [Caml-list] CDK license
@ 2001-05-30 19:06 Brian Rogoff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-05-30 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I notice that the CDK license is GPL, rather than LGPL. I've read the
discussions of GPL vs LGPL, and I'm not unsympathetic to the Free
Software cause, but (speaking for myself here) as a commercial OCaml user
I won't be able to use the CDK for this reason. So, for instance, I'll end
up grabbing lablgtk and PCRE directly from the source where their authors
chose to release it under LGPL, rather than using the CDK.

Was this a conscientious choice on the part of the CDK developers? If so,
then perhaps Caml Consortium members should think about creating a less
encumbered "standard" library. It would be a pity to have to duplicate
this effort.

-- Brian