From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@best.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Segfault in a native code multi-threaded program
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:54:26 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On 17 Aug 2001, David Mentre wrote:
> My program now produces a segfault even in byte code mode. :(
>
> Probably a misuse of Marshal. I've typed all of its input/output uses
> but I've probably messed things between a marshal and its unmarshal
> counter part.

We use Marshal a lot too and I definitely rely on the rule of thumb "If
OCaml dumps core it is a Marshal or C code issue". Where I get hit is not
so much in having marshal/unmarshal get out of sync but in leaving around
old versions of marshaled data files and trying to read those. The problem
manifests itself quickly, but the core dump is unpleasant :-).

> > <hint for next ocaml ;)> >
>   It would be very nice to be able to rely on Marshal as safely as on
>   ocaml typing. Just to be sure that if I expect an int * string, I will
>   effectively receive an int * string or raise an exception. It could
>   probably be done using the same tricks as used in printf formatters.
>
> </hint for next ocaml ;)>

A more type safe marshaling framework is way up there on my list of
desired enhancements. I think this will be part of the extensional
polymorphism enhancements that you can see now in G'Caml.

-- Brian