* Re: Re: [Caml-list] newbie questions
@ 2003-04-08 17:28 Dr.Dr.Ruediger M.Flaig
From: Dr.Dr.Ruediger M.Flaig @ 2003-04-08 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi everybody,

first thanks a lot to all for their suggestions, which considerable helped me to make myself at home with CAML... My general impression, however, is that there is still no match for arrays (no pun intended) when fast processing of large amounts of data is an issue. Does this correspond to your experiences?

Quite a different question, are there currently any plans of writing a code generator for Java VM code? I remember the Erlang guys once did that but got disappointing results... but CAML might do better.

Yours,
   Ruediger

Dr. Dr. Ruediger Marcus Flaig
Institute for Immunology
University of Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 305
D-69120 Heidelberg
<flaig@cirith-ungol.sanctacaris.net>
Tel. +49-172-7652946
Fax  +49-4075110-17171

* Re: Re: [Caml-list] newbie questions
@ 2003-04-08 17:42 ` David Monniaux
From: David Monniaux @ 2003-04-08 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flaig; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Dr.Dr.Ruediger M.Flaig wrote:

> first thanks a lot to all for their suggestions, which considerable
> helped me to make myself at home with CAML... My general impression,
> however, is that there is still no match for arrays (no pun intended)
> when fast processing of large amounts of data is an issue. Does this
> correspond to your experiences?

Please define "fast processing of large amounts of data". This can mean
widely different things.

If you are dealing with matrices (numerical analysis...), yes, probably
you want Array's or Bigarray's.

Otherwise, even for structures mapping an integer range to values, arrays
may not be the best choice. I have in mind a particular example where we
used a balanced binary map from integers to values, because this allowed
implementing certain optimizations (see section 6.2 of
http://www.di.ens.fr/~monniaux/biblio/Static_analyzer_LNCS2566.pdf ).

Regards,

David Monniaux            http://www.di.ens.fr/~monniaux
Laboratoire d'informatique de l'École Normale Supérieure,
Paris, France