* [Caml-list] -custom switch useless??
@ 2001-08-20 12:54 Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2001-08-20 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I'm building an ocaml package from sources and seems to me that
-custom switch on ocamlc compiler has no effect.
I'm building ocaml findlib and from the Makefile:

ocamlfind: findlib.cma $(OCAMLFIND_OBJECTS)
 $(OCAMLC) -custom -g -o ocamlfind findlib.cma unix.cma \
            $(OCAMLFIND_OBJECTS)

with -custom switch ocamlfind is linked with the interpreter and the
resulting file is a regular ELF executable that contains both the
interpreter and the bytecode.

Well, if I remove the -custom switch nothing changes!  I obtain the same
file and not a #!/usr/bin/ocamlrun executable as I expected, the two
files are identical (diff tested).

If I try the same with a stupid hello_world.ml test:

  let main () = print_string "Hello, world!\n";;
  main ();;

all work as expected (ocamlrun executable without -custom, linked
version with -custom).

Why this difference?

TIA, cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863
Home Page: http://www.students.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro

* Re: [Caml-list] -custom switch useless??
@ 2001-08-21 11:36 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2001-08-21 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

>   I'm building an ocaml package from sources and seems to me that
> -custom switch on ocamlc compiler has no effect.

The switch tells the compiler to include a customized version of the
runtime interpreter. Some libraries requires this behaviour; this is the
case for unix.cma, because it comes with a C support library (libunix.a).
These libraries are linked with the -custom switch, and the linker
remembers it when linking your program. So -custom is implicit
in this case.

You can disable the behaviour with the -noautolink switch.
It may be useful if you want to build a custom runtime interpreter
(with unix support for instance) once and for all (-make-runtime),
and use it with -use-runtime for all your programs.

--
  Alain  Frisch