From: Alain Frisch <frisch@clipper.ens.fr>
To: Jeff Henrikson <jehenrik@yahoo.com>
Cc: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] record labels of record scope using camlp4
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:15:04 +0100 (MET)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Jeff Henrikson wrote:

> It seems like a lot of people dislike the fact that record labels have
> module scope instead of record scope.

I think it should be possible to minimize the incovenience without
rejecting module scope. For instance, one could introduce the syntax:

module_path.{ x1 = e1; ....; xn = en }

as an abbreviation for:

{ module_path.x1 = e1; ...; module_path.xn = en }

Another way would be to use type information provided by the type-checker.
For accessing field, here is a description of a simple patch to the
type-checker that could be handy; the idea is that, when the expression e
is known to be a record of a given type, one can use a "record scope" rule
for label. A ten-minutes hack leads me to:

in typing/types.{ml,mli}:
and type_kind =
    Type_abstract
  | Type_variant of (string * type_expr list) list
  | Type_record of (string * mutable_flag * type_expr * label_description
option ref) list * record_representation
(note the extra (dirty) label_description option ref)

and trivial modification in many places ...

in typing/datarepr.ml:
let label_descrs ty_res lbls repres =
  let all_labels = Array.create (List.length lbls) dummy_label in
  let rec describe_labels num = function
      [] -> []
    | (name, mut_flag, ty_arg, l) :: rest ->
        let lbl =
          { lbl_res = ty_res;
            lbl_arg = ty_arg;
            lbl_mut = mut_flag;
            lbl_pos = num;
            lbl_all = all_labels;
            lbl_repres = repres } in
	(match !l with
	  | Some _ -> ()  (* Note sure what this corresponds to *)
	  | None -> l := Some lbl);
        all_labels.(num) <- lbl;
        (name, lbl) :: describe_labels (num+1) rest in
  describe_labels 0 lbls

in typing/typedecl.ml:
        | Ptype_record lbls ->
            let all_labels = ref StringSet.empty in
            List.iter
              (fun (name, mut, arg) ->
                if StringSet.mem name !all_labels then
                  raise(Error(sdecl.ptype_loc, Duplicate_label name));
                all_labels := StringSet.add name !all_labels)
              lbls;
            let lbls' =
              List.map
                (fun (name, mut, arg) ->
                         (name, mut, transl_simple_type env true arg, ref
None))
                lbls in
            let rep =
              if List.for_all (fun (name, mut, arg, _) -> is_float env
arg) lbls
'
              then Record_float
              else Record_regular in
            Type_record(lbls', rep)
        end;
      type_manifest =

(note the extra ref None)

in typing/typecore.ml (function type_exp):
  | Pexp_field(sarg, lid) ->
      let arg = type_exp env sarg in
      let label =
        try
	  try
	    match lid with
	      | Longident.Lident name -> lookup_label arg.exp_type name env
	      | _ -> raise Not_found
          with Not_found -> Env.lookup_label lid env
        with Not_found ->
          raise(Error(sexp.pexp_loc, Unbound_label lid)) in
      let (ty_arg, ty_res) = instance_label label in

where lookup_label is defined as:

let rec lookup_label ty name env =
  let ty = repr ty in
  match ty.desc with
  | Tconstr (path, _, _) ->
      let td = Env.find_type path env in
      begin match td.type_kind with
      | Type_record (fields, _) ->
	  let (_,_,_,l) =
	    List.find (fun (name', _, _,_) -> name = name') fields in
	  (match !l with
	      Some l -> l
	    | None -> raise Not_found)
      | Type_abstract when td.type_manifest <> None ->
          lookup_label (expand_head env ty) name env
      | _ -> raise Not_found
      end
  | _ ->
      raise Not_found

This patch allows to write things like:

type t = { x : int; y : int };;
type s = { x : string };;
let f (t : t) : int = t.x;;

The same could be done for record expression (in function type_expect):

let r : t = { x = 2; y = 3 } in

On the one hand, this kind of interaction with the type-checker is quite
dangerous as it breaks complete type inference, but in OCaml, there are
already some cases where type annotations are mandatory; on the other
hand, it leads to a lightweight syntax and is probably what programmers
expect.

(sorry for suggesting a solution to a non-issue ;) )

--
  Alain