* [Caml-list] catch keypressed
@ 2002-05-02 10:23 Vincent Barichard
From: Vincent Barichard @ 2002-05-02 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CAML-LIST

Hello,

I would like to catch the hit of a key without being in graphic
mode. Something like :

while not keypressed() do
  print_string "Hit a key";
done;

Is a fonction of this kind exists in CAML ??
And if it doesn't exist, is there a way to simulate its effect ??
The read_int fonction blocks until user enter a value so it is not
suitable for my problem.

thanks for your help

Vincent

Vincent Barichard
Métaheuristiques et Optimisation Combinatoire
Faculté des Sciences d'Angers
Tel : 02 41 73 52 06

* Re: [Caml-list] catch keypressed
@ 2002-05-02 17:26 ` Remi VANICAT
From: Remi VANICAT @ 2002-05-02 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Vincent Barichard <barichar@info.univ-angers.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to catch the hit of a key without being in graphic
> mode. Something like :
>
> while not keypressed() do
>   print_string "Hit a key";
> done;
>
> Is a fonction of this kind exists in CAML ??
> And if it doesn't exist, is there a way to simulate its effect ??
> The read_int fonction blocks until user enter a value so it is not
> suitable for my problem.

the read_line function wait until return is pressed. It is not exactly
what you want, but it's often enough.
--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] catch keypressed
@ 2002-05-02 18:02 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2002-05-02 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Barichard; +Cc: CAML-LIST

On 2002.05.02 12:23 Vincent Barichard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to catch the hit of a key without being in graphic
> mode. Something like :
>
> while not keypressed() do
>   print_string "Hit a key";
> done;
>
> Is a fonction of this kind exists in CAML ??
> And if it doesn't exist, is there a way to simulate its effect ??
> The read_int fonction blocks until user enter a value so it is not
> suitable for my problem.
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Vincent

Quite simple: Turn the "canonical mode" of stdin off, and keypresses
are reported immediately:

open Unix;;
let waitkey() =
  let m = tcgetattr stdin in
  tcsetattr stdin TCSAFLUSH { m with c_icanon = false };
  let s = String.create 1 in
  ignore(read stdin s 0 1);
  tcsetattr stdin TCSAFLUSH m;
  s.[0]
;;

Maybe you also want to turn off echo mode (c_echo=false). Changing the
terminal mode is dangerous, because it is a property of the terminal
emulator, and is not automatically reset if the program stops for any
reason. Because of this, it is a good idea to register an at_exit function
that restores the terminal mode when the program terminates, and to catch
also the various signals that might lead to termination.

And if the cursor has vanished: type "stty sane" to reset the terminal
modes from the shell.

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] catch keypressed
@ 2002-05-03 13:33   ` Vincent Barichard
From: Vincent Barichard @ 2002-05-03 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: CAML-LIST

Thanks for your help, I'll use the following function which works very
well :

 open Unix;;
 let waitkey() =
   let m = tcgetattr stdin in
   tcsetattr stdin TCSANOW { m with c_vmin = 0; c_icanon = false };
   let s = String.create 1 in
   ignore(read stdin s 0 1);
   tcsetattr stdin TCSAFLUSH m;
   s.[0]