* [Caml-list] Default values for structures (feature request)
@ 2004-06-02 12:12 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-06-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Could have a syntax for default values for structures?  Something
like:

type t = { field1 : int = 0;
           field2 : string;  (* no default *)
         }

It's sort of possible to do this currently for non-mutable structures
by having a default_value declared, and writing:

let new_value = { default_value with field2 = "new string" }

but this doesn't allow the module to force the user to declare certain
fields in a new value.

The reason for having default fields is so that I can export struct-
ures from my module interface, but be able to add fields with default
values later without breaking dependent code.  (But in some circum-
stances I would deliberately add fields without default values in
order to break code).

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/

* Re: [Caml-list] Default values for structures (feature request)
@ 2004-06-02 12:56 ` Jacques GARRIGUE
From: Jacques GARRIGUE @ 2004-06-02 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: caml-list

From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>

> Could have a syntax for default values for structures?  Something
> like:
>
> type t = { field1 : int = 0;
>            field2 : string;  (* no default *)
>          }

The difficulty should be apparent in your example: this supposes
writing values in interfaces, which would be a major (huge) change in
language design...

Note that labeled arguments let you do that.

let new_t ?(field1 = 0) ~field2 () = {field1=field1; field2=field2}

> The reason for having default fields is so that I can export struct-
> ures from my module interface, but be able to add fields with default
> values later without breaking dependent code.  (But in some circum-
> stances I would deliberately add fields without default values in
> order to break code).

This is the point with optional/labeled arguments.

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] Default values for structures (feature request)
@ 2004-06-03  9:30   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2004-06-03  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques GARRIGUE; +Cc: rich, caml-list

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:56:55PM +0900, Jacques GARRIGUE wrote:
> From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
>
> > Could have a syntax for default values for structures?  Something
> > like:
> >
> > type t = { field1 : int = 0;
> >            field2 : string;  (* no default *)
> >          }
>
> The difficulty should be apparent in your example: this supposes
> writing values in interfaces, which would be a major (huge) change in
> language design...
>
> Note that labeled arguments let you do that.
>
> let new_t ?(field1 = 0) ~field2 () = {field1=field1; field2=field2}
>
> > The reason for having default fields is so that I can export struct-
> > ures from my module interface, but be able to add fields with default
> > values later without breaking dependent code.  (But in some circum-
> > stances I would deliberately add fields without default values in
> > order to break code).
>
> This is the point with optional/labeled arguments.
> Jacques Garrigue

Well, what about adding a syntaxic wrapper over those to let you
automatically do it using a syntax similar to what Richard Jones
proposed ?

Friendly,

Sven luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Default values for structures (feature request)
@ 2004-06-03  9:31   ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-06-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:56:55PM +0900, Jacques GARRIGUE wrote:
> From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
>
> > Could have a syntax for default values for structures?  Something
> > like:
> >
> > type t = { field1 : int = 0;
> >            field2 : string;  (* no default *)
> >          }
>
> The difficulty should be apparent in your example: this supposes
> writing values in interfaces, which would be a major (huge) change in
> language design...

Out of interest, is there a theoretical reason why types shouldn't
contain values, or is it just because it's a lot of work to change the
compiler?

Rich.

Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective
CAML programs. http://www.merjis.com/developers/perl4caml/

* Re: [Caml-list] Default values for structures (feature request)
@ 2004-06-03 16:33     ` Christopher Dutchyn
From: Christopher Dutchyn @ 2004-06-03 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: Jacques GARRIGUE, rich, caml-list

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Sven Luther wrote:

> Well, what about adding a syntaxic wrapper over those to let you
> automatically do it using a syntax similar to what Richard Jones
> proposed ?

Sounds like a job for ... camlp4!

Chris Dutchyn

* Re: [Caml-list] Default values for structures (feature request)
@ 2004-06-03 16:34     ` Christopher Dutchyn
From: Christopher Dutchyn @ 2004-06-03 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Richard Jones wrote:

> Out of interest, is there a theoretical reason why types shouldn't
> contain values, or is it just because it's a lot of work to change the
> compiler?

This leads to dependent types, and pure type systems, and other esoterica
that are still active research areas -- (read: there are important
questions lacking goood answers).

Chris Dutchyn