From: Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>
To: Matthieu Dubuget <matthieu.dubuget@laposte.net>
Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Tuareg mode under Cygwin...
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:19:32 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Matthieu Dubuget wrote:

> Igor Peshansky a écrit :
> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Jeremy Shute wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When I fire up Tuareg mode under native Windows emacs and run an
> >> inferior-caml, I get what I expect (Caml running in an emacs buffer).
> >> When I do so with Cygwin's Emacs, I get an empty buffer and a process
> >> "ocamlrun.exe" dressed in new window trim, which seems completely
> >> detached from the inferior-caml buffer (meaning C-c C-e does NOT send
> >> commands to this new process).
> >>
> >> I asked Albert Cohen, Tuareg-mode's creator, but he didn't know much
> >> about Windows, and suggested I ask here.
> >>
> >> What magic Elisp incantation will shackle invocations of "ocaml" in a
> >> buffer, when using Cygwin emacs?  I also tried "sh -c ocaml" to no
> >> avail...
> >>
> >> Jeremy
> >
> > Hi, Jeremy,
> >
> > This sounds like either a Cygwin emacs bug or a bug in the commands
> > Tuareg uses to start the ocaml process that manifests only in Cygwin's
> > emacs. Since this is likely not a problem with ocaml itself (but
> > rather with either the Cygwin ocaml package or Cygwin emacs), the main
> > Cygwin list (<cygwin at cygwin dot com>) would be a better place to
> > discuss it and track down the culprit.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't use emacs, and haven't tested the Cygwin O'Caml
> > package under emacs (and wouldn't know how).  Thus, another reason to
> > move this to the main Cygwin list, since there are many emacs experts
> > there.
> >
> > One thing that would help is following the Cygwin problem reporting
> > guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> when re-posting this
> > to the main Cygwin list (particularly attaching the output of
> > "cygcheck -svr").
> >
> > See you on the Cygwin list, :-)
> >
> > Igor Peshansky, the Cygwin O'Caml volunteer maintainer
>
> Last time I had a similar problem, I discovered that recompiling the
> ocaml toplevel was solving the problem.
>
> Maybe this will work for you ?

Hmm, indeed.  Though don't forget, Matthieu, that Cygwin is still at
version 3.08.1...

Jeremy, if recompiling works for you, please let me know, and I'll release
a rebuit version of ocaml for Cygwin.  You can download the ocaml source
package using Cygwin setup and run the packaging script to build (use the
"--help" option for a list of possible steps).

Igor Peshansky, the Cygwin O'Caml volunteer maintainer
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"