* [Caml-list] OCaml-book planned...
@ 2001-11-01 16:29 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2001-11-01 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

as they told me, the french O'Reilley-publisher
has planned to put the english-translation of
the french OCaml-book free to the public-webspace.
It's planned to publish the webpages in February 2002.

And they think about publishing it as a book after that.

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-book planned...
@ 2001-11-01 17:00 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-11-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

Oliver Bandel schrieb am Donnerstag, den 01. November 2001:
> as they told me, the french O'Reilley-publisher has planned to
> put the english-translation of the french OCaml-book free to the
> public-webspace.  It's planned to publish the webpages in February 2002.

Wow, that nearly sounds too good to be true!  It's a bit surprising
that the people on the translators' list haven't yet been told about
O'Reilly's future plans though these obviously exist.

> And they think about publishing it as a book after that.

Even better! Could you please give us more details about what they
exactly wrote (e.g. forward us their e-mail)? I am sure I am not the
only one here who is curious...

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-book planned...
@ 2001-11-02  1:13   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2001-11-02  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: caml-list

Hi!

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Markus Mottl wrote:

> Oliver Bandel schrieb am Donnerstag, den 01. November 2001:
> > as they told me, the french O'Reilley-publisher has planned to
> > put the english-translation of the french OCaml-book free to the
> > public-webspace.  It's planned to publish the webpages in February 2002.
>
> Wow, that nearly sounds too good to be true!  It's a bit surprising
> that the people on the translators' list haven't yet been told about
> O'Reilly's future plans though these obviously exist.

Well, I asked the people from the german O'Reilley and
said a lot of nice words about the O'Reilley company. :-)
And so a woman from the german O'reilley gave me the mailaddress
of the right person to talk about it. :-)

> > And they think about publishing it as a book after that.
>
> Even better! Could you please give us more details about what they
> exactly wrote (e.g. forward us their e-mail)? I am sure I am not the
> only one here who is curious...

I have not much more informations.
But they told in their last answer that there is a
webpage in frenche, where we should look at.

I mail you this at the end of the weekend (sunday or so),
becuase I#M some days in holiday.

I first ask the O'Reilley-person, if forwarding is ok.
Maybe they don't want it. If it's ok for them I forward it;
if not, I grep the informations and send it here into the list.
But it's not much more than I wrote until now.

Don't be too unpatient... I'm tired  and have a long yourney
tomorrow.

I think I can give you more informations on sunday night.

@ 2001-11-02  1:24   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2001-11-02  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Markus Mottl wrote:

> Oliver Bandel schrieb am Donnerstag, den 01. November 2001:
> > as they told me, the french O'Reilley-publisher has planned to
> > put the english-translation of the french OCaml-book free to the
> > public-webspace.  It's planned to publish the webpages in February 2002.
>
> Wow, that nearly sounds too good to be true!  It's a bit surprising
> that the people on the translators' list haven't yet been told about
> O'Reilly's future plans though these obviously exist.

I gave the O#Reilly-publisher a hint to the ocaml-homepage and
the mailing-list.

Maybe he is interested in reading and writing here... :-)

@ 2001-11-02 17:08     ` Ruchira Datta
From: Ruchira Datta @ 2001-11-02 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:13:03AM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Markus Mottl wrote:
>
> > Oliver Bandel schrieb am Donnerstag, den 01. November 2001:
> > > as they told me, the french O'Reilley-publisher has planned to
> > > put the english-translation of the french OCaml-book free to the
> > > public-webspace.  It's planned to publish the webpages in February 2002.
> >
> > Wow, that nearly sounds too good to be true!  It's a bit surprising
> > that the people on the translators' list haven't yet been told about
> > O'Reilly's future plans though these obviously exist.
>
> Well, I asked the people from the german O'Reilley and
> said a lot of nice words about the O'Reilley company. :-)
> And so a woman from the german O'reilley gave me the mailaddress
> of the right person to talk about it. :-)

[ snipped ]
> I first ask the O'Reilley-person, if forwarding is ok.
> Maybe they don't want it. If it's ok for them I forward it;
> if not, I grep the informations and send it here into the list.
> But it's not much more than I wrote until now.

More than fifty people have already put and are continuing to put
a lot of work into the English translation of this book.  We
certainly have a need and a right to know their intentions.  If
they don't want to broadcast them to the whole world, they can
email the translators' mailing list, translators@pauillac.inria.fr.
Or they can personally email the translation project's O'Reilly liaison,
Benjamin Pierce, bcpierce@saul.cis.upenn.edu.  Or they can email me,
datta@math.berkeley.edu; I'm currently coordinating the project.

I don't know how they can publish the English webpages in February
without communicating with us.  Unless they have a separate translation
going, which would be a major bummer.  We have certainly kept them
abreast of our efforts.

> Don't be too unpatient... I'm tired  and have a long yourney
> tomorrow.
>
> I think I can give you more informations on sunday night.

Best wishes for a good journey.  I'm sorry if the above seems rather
negative.  It's not directed at you, we're really grateful to you
for passing on this information.  I'm just a little peeved at O'Reilly for
keeping us in the dark.
Thanks again,

Ruchira Datta
datta@math.berkeley.edu

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-book planned...
@ 2001-11-05  7:07       ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2001-11-05  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruchira Datta; +Cc: caml-list

Hi!

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Ruchira Datta wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:13:03AM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > Hi!

> > > Wow, that nearly sounds too good to be true!  It's a bit surprising
> > > that the people on the translators' list haven't yet been told about
> > > O'Reilly's future plans though these obviously exist.
> >
> > Well, I asked the people from the german O'Reilley and
> > said a lot of nice words about the O'Reilley company. :-)
> > And so a woman from the german O'reilley gave me the mailaddress
> > of the right person to talk about it. :-)
>
> [ snipped ]
> > I first ask the O'Reilley-person, if forwarding is ok.
> > Maybe they don't want it. If it's ok for them I forward it;
> > if not, I grep the informations and send it here into the list.
> > But it's not much more than I wrote until now.
>
> More than fifty people have already put and are continuing to put
> a lot of work into the English translation of this book.  We
> certainly have a need and a right to know their intentions.

Yes, I think so.

The O'Reilly-man told me, that the february-date is his
own estimation of a "ready-to-publish-in-the-web"-date
and that he don't want to make to much pressure on the
translating people.
And because his answer was directed to me - not a translator -
this would not cause pressure to me.

But if the translators were motivated by such a date,
that's good. I have no problem with publishing before
X-mas. If that is possible... ;-)

> If
> they don't want to broadcast them to the whole world, they can
> email the translators' mailing list,
[...]
> I don't know how they can publish the English webpages in February
> without communicating with us.  Unless they have a separate translation
> going, which would be a major bummer.  We have certainly kept them
> abreast of our efforts.

Ok, it was a personnel estimation, directed to an interested
person.

If that doesn't fit the actual translation-speed,
then please let me/us know it.

Because I'm not firm with french language I have
to wait with *really* programming in OCaml,
until the translation is available. I now can only
stumble around with Ocaml...

> > Don't be too unpatient... I'm tired  and have a long yourney
> > tomorrow.
> >
> > I think I can give you more informations on sunday night.
>
> Best wishes for a good journey.

Thanx.

>  I'm sorry if the above seems rather
> negative.  It's not directed at you,
[...]

I know.

> we're really grateful to you
> for passing on this information.  I'm just a little peeved at O'Reilly for
> keeping us in the dark.

I don't think it's bad will.

Ciao,
   Oliver