From: Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>
To: Ruchira Datta <datta@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-book planned...
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 08:07:27 +0100 (MET)	[thread overview]

Hi!

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Ruchira Datta wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:13:03AM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > Hi!

> > > Wow, that nearly sounds too good to be true!  It's a bit surprising
> > > that the people on the translators' list haven't yet been told about
> > > O'Reilly's future plans though these obviously exist.
> >
> > Well, I asked the people from the german O'Reilley and
> > said a lot of nice words about the O'Reilley company. :-)
> > And so a woman from the german O'reilley gave me the mailaddress
> > of the right person to talk about it. :-)
>
> [ snipped ]
> > I first ask the O'Reilley-person, if forwarding is ok.
> > Maybe they don't want it. If it's ok for them I forward it;
> > if not, I grep the informations and send it here into the list.
> > But it's not much more than I wrote until now.
>
> More than fifty people have already put and are continuing to put
> a lot of work into the English translation of this book.  We
> certainly have a need and a right to know their intentions.

Yes, I think so.

The O'Reilly-man told me, that the february-date is his
own estimation of a "ready-to-publish-in-the-web"-date
and that he don't want to make to much pressure on the
translating people.
And because his answer was directed to me - not a translator -
this would not cause pressure to me.

But if the translators were motivated by such a date,
that's good. I have no problem with publishing before
X-mas. If that is possible... ;-)

> If
> they don't want to broadcast them to the whole world, they can
> email the translators' mailing list,
[...]
> I don't know how they can publish the English webpages in February
> without communicating with us.  Unless they have a separate translation
> going, which would be a major bummer.  We have certainly kept them
> abreast of our efforts.

Ok, it was a personnel estimation, directed to an interested
person.

If that doesn't fit the actual translation-speed,
then please let me/us know it.

Because I'm not firm with french language I have
to wait with *really* programming in OCaml,
until the translation is available. I now can only
stumble around with Ocaml...

> > Don't be too unpatient... I'm tired  and have a long yourney
> > tomorrow.
> >
> > I think I can give you more informations on sunday night.
>
> Best wishes for a good journey.

Thanx.

>  I'm sorry if the above seems rather
> negative.  It's not directed at you,
[...]

I know.

> we're really grateful to you
> for passing on this information.  I'm just a little peeved at O'Reilly for
> keeping us in the dark.

I don't think it's bad will.

Ciao,
   Oliver