* [Caml-list] genetic programming library
@ 2001-11-07  4:17 rbw3
From: rbw3 @ 2001-11-07  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Has anyone worked on a genetic programming library for OCaml? I am working
on one and hate to duplicate work.

--Brock

* Re: [Caml-list] genetic programming library
@ 2001-11-08 14:59 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-11-08 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rbw3; +Cc: OCAML

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001, rbw3@cet.nau.edu wrote:
> Has anyone worked on a genetic programming library for OCaml? I am
> working on one and hate to duplicate work.

It's not quite genetic programming that I'm working on, but I have a
framework that allows you to plug in arbitrary heuristics for generating
syntactically correct programs, evaluating them and giving feedback to
the generation algorithm about the "quality" of the solution. Adding a
GP-like heuristics to the already existing program generation strategies
(complete enumeration of search space + random sampling) shouldn't be
too difficult.

The system implementation still lacks many convenience features (even
worse: documentation ;), but it might be a suitable testbed for what
you want to do. There is also a complete application that can be run on
C4.5 data (only for numeric regression, not for classification purposes
or on discrete data).

The implemented example "language" allows symbolic regression, though
at a somewhat more sophisticated level than you'll normally find in
literature: it uses efficient methods for estimating constants in
multivariate polynomials rather than just "guessing" them.

Right now I have to work on something else, which might at some later
(much later) point be combined with the previous system. If enough
people show serious interest in trying it, or better, contributing code,
I _might_ consider putting it online.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] genetic programming library
@ 2001-11-08 21:53   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2001-11-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: rbw3, OCAML

Hi !

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Markus Mottl wrote:

[...]
> Right now I have to work on something else, which might at some later
> (much later) point be combined with the previous system. If enough
> people show serious interest in trying it, or better, contributing code,
> I _might_ consider putting it online.

Yes, that sounds very interesting.
I would be very interested in using that library and
in contributing code... but because of lack of detailed
OCaml-knowledge, this will start not earlier than
february (if the publishing-date of the english book is in next
february).

I now more and more come to the point, where I think
about Ocaml as being the right language for such
complex systems (instead of C for speed and Perl for
scripting)... so I'm impatient waiting for the
english translation.

I think this list is a good environment for developing
very interesting programs (because of interests and knowledge
of the people on this mailinglist) and libraries.

Happy to be on this list...  :-)

Ciao,
   Oliver