* Ocaml VM and bytecode
@ 2001-01-25  7:39 Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2001-01-25  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there such a thing as an assembly language -- and the matching
assembler -- for the Ocaml VM? You know, I'd like to write a (toy)
compiler for a logic language similar to Prolog, and I would like not
to have to worry about porting the code to various architectures/OSes.
If there were an Ocaml assembly language, such a compiler could
generate such a language. Otherwise, I would have to work with the
bytecode directlly, which is probably a little more complicated.

One more thing: is there a bytecode to binary compiler for Ocaml?

Merci!

Alex

* Re: Ocaml VM and bytecode
@ 2001-01-30 12:06 ` Vitaly Lugovsky
From: Vitaly Lugovsky @ 2001-01-30 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Alex Baretta wrote:

> One more thing: is there a bytecode to binary compiler for Ocaml?

 I just trying to write this compiler (for Alpha and Sparc
architectures), but there is a lot of problems with branching...

 May be, somebody wants to join me in this project?

--

   V.S.Lugovsky aka Mauhuur (http://ontil.ihep.su/~vsl) (UIN=45482254)

* Re: Ocaml VM and bytecode
@ 2001-01-31 12:50 Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2001-01-31 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Here is a patch to lattest ocaml CVS version, allowing direct
> compilation of text bytecode instructions to .cmo files.
>
> Text bytecode instructions files should have extension .ocb (Objective
> Caml Bytecode), and have the same format as the output from ocamlc
> with -dinstr.
>
> For example:
>
> ocamlc -c -dinstr test.ml 2> test.ocb
>
> should give almost the same .cmo files as
>
> ocamlc -c test.ocb
>
> (the interface test.cmi is empty, so the CRCs are different in the
> .cmo file)

Since the attachment was not accepted by the TOO STRICT :)
mailing-list moderator, I have put the PATCH on

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lefessan/src/patch.ocamlc.as

The patch should be used in the current CVS directory csl/ with
the shell command:

# patch -p1 < patch.ocamlc.as

Regards,

-- Fabrice