From: Anton Moscal <msk@post.tepkom.ru>
To: Daniel de Rauglaudre <daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Camlp4 3.01.4
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:42:23 +0400 (MSD)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Daniel de Rauglaudre wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I made a release 3.01.4 for Camlp4, compatible with Ocaml 3.01.
>
> Main changes since Camlp4 3.01:
>
>   - Added functions in module Token to create lexers:
>        1/ from char stream parser
>        2/ from ocamllex lexer

This is useful. But what do you think about incorporating in Camlp4 some
features from AntLR (successor of the PCCTS), such as:

parameterized rules: something like
rule [parameters list]: [[ ... ]]
and invoking by "rule [actual parameters list]"

predicates
   (expression)? => rule,
parser try to parse "rule" only if "expression" true,

syntax predicates:
   (rule1) => rule2: parser try to parse rule1, if succeed then parser
returns to initial position and try to parse rule2. rule1 usually is a
prefix of rule2, but without side effects

And the last, but not least:
Implements some explicit distinction beetween rule with side effects and
without it (for example - rule: ... and rule :: ... ).  When rule without
side effects failed, parser can keeps trying other alternatives.

The last two features requires input streams with "reset to saved
position" function, but this shouldn't be a serious problem.

Best wishes,
Anton Moscal