From: "Kontra, Gergely" <kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu>
To: Nicolas Cannasse <warplayer@free.fr>
Cc: OCaml <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:07:23 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

>> Some sort of automatic placement will be fine. Configure, that all
>> elements in a container vill be top aligned. (=VPanel)
>> The last thing I miss is to enable auto-fill an element. (AlClient is
>> for that purpose?)
>
>yes
>try to work with the "#align" calls in order to align compents
> left/top/right/bottom/client & center are allowed ).
These alignment has "side effects": when you resize the window, they
behave differently: the left and right aligned things can stretch in y
direction, others in x direction.

>you can also use #span & #space on the containers ( windows, panels ).
>This let Osiris handle all the resize / positionning of the components,
>especially when resizing the window or adding new elements.

Well, as I can see only one component is allowed to be
client-aligned. The labels have predefined sizes, they doesn't respect
the actual data. Will osiris do some cool stuff auto-arrange components?
Creating a singe one-row entry field, which is really one row height is
a bit hacking. Specifying the height goes in pixels, not in rows.
Packing is not so simple, so it worth a tutorial.
I think osiris is now low-level to quickly develop GUIs.
Will it be higher-level, or this will be another package?

In the example programs you use mainly explicit placement. In some
examples, the background of the window, where there is no component, is
darkgrey, while the back of the labels, buttons are lighter grey.

I currently can help just with testing/suggestions and maybe some tips
writing the documentation.

Gergo
+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |