* [Caml-list] List of libraries.
@ 2002-09-29  8:19 Thaddeus L. Olczyk
From: Thaddeus L. Olczyk @ 2002-09-29  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm now setting up my Caml installations.
One thing that I've noticed is that often times when you
suddenly need a package ( say something to do computational geometry
), it becomes a pain to set it up.

So what I would like to do is install everything upfront, including
common libraries that I am likely to need sooner or later.
( Really esoteric libraries can be left off ).

So I looked through the VisualWorks 7 ( Smalltalk ) installation,
which generally comes with about 95% of the VW libraries out there
( 95% of the noncommercial libraries of course ), looked through the
libraries and tried to come up with a similar list of Caml.

Below I present my half-finished list.
The format is:
Type of library
   Specific package1
   Specific package2
Type of library.

When I was unsure I put ???? or some comments.

What I am asking is:
1) If I am missing a type of library please add it.
2) Where I am missing a package please add it.

If several packages are available, please list the "best"
one only, unless there is something which distinguishes
between the two.

Thanks.

  Regex
    PCRE ( built in?)
  GUI
    lablgtk
    More sophisticated graphics. Plotting, 3d drawing, etc.
Sophisticated widgets.
  Debugger/GUI interface for Debugger.
    Epiere--part of Chameleon
  Profiler/GUI interface for profiler.
    ????
  ProcessMonitor ( eg how much CPU time has been used, how mch memory,
etc. )
    ????
  FFI
    Built in.
    SWIG
  COM interface
    ????
  Build tools ( make etc ) especially tools commonly used in projects.
    Usual (automake autoconfig make ) and OCamlmake
  Code Analysis tools ( tags, crossreference, code quality testing
like lint, etc ).
    ????
  UnitTesting code (camlunit?)
    ????
  CaseTool
    ????
  Corba interface
    CorbaIDL
  Advanced Math Tools
  Encryption(Blowfish,SSL,DES,MD5)
    Cryptokit.
    Cryptgps.
  Parsing Tools.
     Ocamllex Ocamlyacc.
     Anything using LL grammars.
     Packages that parse in a more "camlish" way.
  DB tools  ( esp Access,ODBC,Postgress and MySQL)
     OCamlODBC
     OCaml-MySQL
     Postgress
     bdb
     DBForge
  Internet Tools ( Sockets, SNMP, FTP, HTTP etc. )
     ????
  Advanced Internet Tools ( HTML Parsing, XML Parsing, Web
Applications, Basic Web Server, SOAP, etc.)
     ????

* Re: [Caml-list] List of libraries.
@ 2002-09-29  9:05 ` Remi VANICAT
From: Remi VANICAT @ 2002-09-29  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

olczyk@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L. Olczyk) writes:

> I'm now setting up my Caml installations.
> One thing that I've noticed is that often times when you
> suddenly need a package ( say something to do computational geometry
> ), it becomes a pain to set it up.
>
> So what I would like to do is install everything upfront, including
> common libraries that I am likely to need sooner or later.
> ( Really esoteric libraries can be left off ).
>
> So I looked through the VisualWorks 7 ( Smalltalk ) installation,
> which generally comes with about 95% of the VW libraries out there
> ( 95% of the noncommercial libraries of course ), looked through the
> libraries and tried to come up with a similar list of Caml.
>
> Below I present my half-finished list.

[...]

two list exist on the internet : the humps http://caml.inria.fr/humps/
and the  The Objective Caml Link Database :
http://www.npc.de/ocaml/linkdb/frames.html

by the way there is a beginner list. You should ask such question
there (see at the end of any message on this list to know how to
subscribe to it). You should also try to search in the archives for
all question that may have already be answered
--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] List of libraries.
@ 2002-09-29 23:29   ` Thaddeus L. Olczyk
From: Thaddeus L. Olczyk @ 2002-09-29 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:05:46 +0200, Remi VANICAT
<vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

>olczyk@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L. Olczyk) writes:
>
>> I'm now setting up my Caml installations.
>> One thing that I've noticed is that often times when you
>> suddenly need a package ( say something to do computational geometry
>> ), it becomes a pain to set it up.
>>
>> So what I would like to do is install everything upfront, including
>> common libraries that I am likely to need sooner or later.
>> ( Really esoteric libraries can be left off ).
>>
>> So I looked through the VisualWorks 7 ( Smalltalk ) installation,
>> which generally comes with about 95% of the VW libraries out there
>> ( 95% of the noncommercial libraries of course ), looked through the
>> libraries and tried to come up with a similar list of Caml.
>>
>> Below I present my half-finished list.
>
>[...]
>
>two list exist on the internet : the humps http://caml.inria.fr/humps/
>and the  The Objective Caml Link Database :
>http://www.npc.de/ocaml/linkdb/frames.html

I'm not just asking what is available. I'm asking something more.
Specifically I am asking what is needed by someone doing general
tasks, which libraries work best and what approaches to these topics
work best with Caml. Also what topics I may be missing.

>by the way there is a beginner list. You should ask such question
>there (see at the end of any message on this list to know how to
>subscribe to it). You should also try to search in the archives for
>all question that may have already be answered
It  should  be mentioned on www.ocaml.org. In fact that
mailing list should be more prominently mentioned since
the expectation is that most people visiting are relative
newbies.

Also I don't think the whole question is newbie oriented.
Since I'm asking for opinions some of the topics can border
on advanced ( for example: parsers the Caml way ).

* Re: [Caml-list] List of libraries.
@ 2002-09-30 15:37   ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-09-30 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remi VANICAT; +Cc: caml-list

>by the way there is a beginner list. You should ask such question
>there (see at the end of any message on this list to know how to
>subscribe to it). You should also try to search in the archives for
>all question that may have already be answered

(Just a silent note: the beginners list is less active, and responsive,
but it lives)

Gergo
+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |