From: "Kontra, Gergely" <kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] types & design advices (musical program)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:11:01 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

Hi!

I began to play with a little program, which knows about notes.
The first problem, which I face, was the following:
type pitch=[A|Ais|As|H|B|His|C...]
type base=[A|H|C|D|E|F|G]

So when I have who types, where one of them is the superset of the
other.

After that how can I define a pitch type of eg. C?
let p = C will be of the type 'basse'.

The next one is more general:
Assume I want to calculate with notes.
I give the key to the whole stuff (like G major or D minor).
Which I'd like to see is to generate a scale, eg:
scale D Major; (* -->[D;E;Fis;G;A;H;Cis] *)

Of course I want a 'nice' representation, because I want to develope
this little prog.

[Note for "just-programmer-non-musicists":
in a scale, the base notes are successive elements from the type
base. The distance from neightbour notes are 2 2 1 2 2 2 semitones in
the major and 2 1 2 2 1 2 2 in the minor scale. The -is prefix raises
the notes pitch by a semitone, and the -as one lowers it. Stating, that
C D E F G A H is a major scale, one can figure out the distance of the
base notes.]

Gergo

+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |