* (no subject)
@ 2003-03-08  8:53 Vee Satayamas
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vee Satayamas @ 2003-03-08  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I 'm interested in using Caml as the
first language to teach student.
What is your opinion? Is there any
place use Caml as the first language
in programming course.

Thank you,
Vee Satayamas

=====
Please feel free to talk to me.
My homepage : http://www.geocities.com/liberalvee

* [Caml-list] teaching Caml as a first language
@ 2003-03-08  9:06 ` Basile STARYNKEVITCH
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH @ 2003-03-08  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

    Vee> Hello, I 'm interested in using Caml as the first language to
    Vee> teach student.  What is your opinion? Is there any place use
    Vee> Caml as the first language in programming course.

CamlLight and Ocaml are already used at many places as a first
language. In particular in France in many classes préparatoires
(approximately college or Bachelor degree); and also in several US (&
European) universities.

I'm not a teacher, but I am sure you'll get lots of positive replies.

I would suggest (if possible) to use a Unix (or Linux) system to teach
a programming course. Two major reasons are: the Unix programming
environrment (in particular with Emacs and the Ocaml debugger) is
better for Ocaml than Windows, and also teaching rudiment of Unix in
programming courses always help (in particular to tell students that
there are several operating systems).

The Caml site gives several books (english, french, german) used in
teaching programming with Caml.

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net

* [Caml-list] Re:
@ 2003-03-08  9:06 ` Seth Kurtzberg
From: Seth Kurtzberg @ 2003-03-08  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vee Satayamas, caml-list

My inclination is that this is perhaps not the best approach.  As OCaml is
using concepts and methods from a wide variety of languages, jumping straight
into OCaml might make it difficult for the student to understand and absorb
the different paradigms.

On Saturday 08 March 2003 01:53 am, Vee Satayamas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I 'm interested in using Caml as the
> first language to teach student.
> What is your opinion? Is there any
> place use Caml as the first language
> in programming course.
>
> Thank you,
> Vee Satayamas
>
> =====
> Please feel free to talk to me.
> My homepage : http://www.geocities.com/liberalvee

Seth Kurtzberg
M. I. S. Corp.
480-661-1849
seth@cql.com

* [Caml-list] Teaching with Caml
@ 2003-03-08 15:23 ` Geoff Wozniak
From: Geoff Wozniak @ 2003-03-08 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

* Re: [Caml-list] Re:
@ 2003-03-10 16:51   ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2003-03-10 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth Kurtzberg; +Cc: Vee Satayamas, caml-list

They're teaching C++ as a first language these days.  You simply don't
touch on the more complicated aspects of the language.  Or don't teach
them until you're good and ready to teach them.

Brian

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> My inclination is that this is perhaps not the best approach.  As OCaml is
> using concepts and methods from a wide variety of languages, jumping straight
> into OCaml might make it difficult for the student to understand and absorb
> the different paradigms.
>
> On Saturday 08 March 2003 01:53 am, Vee Satayamas wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I 'm interested in using Caml as the
> > first language to teach student.
> > What is your opinion? Is there any
> > place use Caml as the first language
> > in programming course.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Vee Satayamas
> >
> > =====
> > Please feel free to talk to me.
> > My homepage : http://www.geocities.com/liberalvee

* [Caml-list] RE :
@ 2021-04-07 12:50 ` Jean-Denis EIDEN
From: Jean-Denis EIDEN @ 2021-04-07 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

unsubscribe

* [Caml-list] Re:
@ 2011-04-07 14:21 nathalielibertine
From: nathalielibertine @ 2011-04-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

* [Caml-list] Re:
@ 2004-08-24  9:09 ` Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2004-08-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briand; +Cc: caml-list

On Aug 23, 2004, at 22:27, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> ~/src/ocaml/math $ ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.08.0
>
> # #load "const.cmo";;
> # Const.pi
>   ;;
> - : float = 3.14159265358979312
> #
>

> ~/src/ocaml/math $ cd ..
> ~/src/ocaml $ cd pll
> ~/src/ocaml/pll $ ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.08.0
>
> # #load "../math/const.cmo";;
> # Const.pi;;
> Unbound value Const.pi
>
> Huh ??

What is the type of Const.pi?  In order to answer this question, you
have
to know the interface of module Const.  This interface lives in
const.mli,
which is compiled to const.cmi.  It is automatically looked up in the
current directory, but not in ../math (unless you use option -I).

In other words, a module is composed of two things: its interface and
its implementation.  The interface is all you need to know at compile
time, while the implementation is all you need at execution time.  But
the toplevel does both compilation and execution, so it needs both.
The #load directive only provides the implementation.  You should also
add "../math" to the interface search path with the #directory
directive:

# #load "../math/const.cmo";;
# #directory "../math";;
# Const.pi;;

-- Damien

* [Caml-list] Re:
       [not found] <200404290855.i3T8sxxM001342@host2.route66.net>
@ 2004-04-29  8:55 ` alex
From: alex @ 2004-04-29  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

This is an autoresponder. I'll never see your message.

* [Caml-list] Re:
@ 2003-07-26  8:59   ` Nicolas Janin
From: Nicolas Janin @ 2003-07-26  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh, Matt Gushee, caml-list

It would be interesting to know how many people are directly interested by
such a project (provided that many people won't say they are interested, but
will eventually use such a library when it is in a mature state).

From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-10-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: climb, Ocaml

I must advise you to download the O'Reilly caml-book, and
read through it. The answers to all your questions are in there.

http://caml.inria.fr/oreilly-book/

Alex

climb wrote:
>  i am quite confused about the orgnization of source files.
> i have programmed with java . java has a simple rule to orgnize files: one file contains one class(public) or interface, and name of the file and the class  must be identical.
>
> As to Ocaml.
> Does the file name of *.ml or mli has some similar relation ship with the content ?
>   for example , in the on-line manul
>   it says :
>   if complie like this
>   ocaml -c aux.mli
>   ocaml -c aux.ml
>   behaves exactly as if
>   module Aux: sig (* contents of aux.mli*) end = struct (*contents of aux.ml*) end;;
>   in the toplevel
>   that seems to imply the exsiting fo some relationship , but i still has these questions:
> 1) can many modules be write in just one file ?
>    maybe not , then how does classes?

Yes. Modules can contain modules. Every compilation unit
automatically defines a module. An ".mli" defines the
signature of the module defined ecapsulating the
corresponding ".ml".

> 2) Is the multi sigs with one struct  or multi structs  with one sig  compiled at a prper dependency can get the same result that like as in the toplevel?   should i write anther file to tell them how to assigning?

I don't understand what you mean.

> 3) take set.ml and set.mli for example which defined one functor: Make and two sigs : S and OrderedType.  But when we use , we use this command    Set.Make(..).       "Set" here seem can only get from the name of the file. So it seems the file name determined the library name .  Then how about the noraml module (not functor) case that if i define a module A with a funtion a(), in file b.ml and b.mli, how can i refer to a() in module A.  A.a() or B.A.a() or B.a()?

As I already pointed out, the compiler encapsulates every
".ml" in its own module declaration, where the name of the
module is equal to the name of file, with the first letter
capitalized. Therefore, if you can write

> (* File x.ml *)
>
> module Abc = struct
>   let function_of_abc () = ...
> end

> (* File y.ml *)
>
> let _ = X.Abc.function_of_abc ()

Alex

* [Caml-list] Re:
@ 2002-06-17 17:47   ` Nicolas FRANCOIS
From: Nicolas FRANCOIS @ 2002-06-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun P.FURUSE; +Cc: caml-list

Le Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:23:09 +0200 (CEST) "Jun P.FURUSE"
<Jun.Furuse@inria.fr> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> > if (point_color ma_fourmi.x ma_fourmi.y) = white
> > is allways false under Ocaml.
>
> If the following code says "BUG" in your environment, I am afraid that
> there is a bug inside the graphics library. In such case, could you
> send me the result of the command xdpyinfo in your environment ?
>
> (* ocamlc -o testgraphics graphics.cma testgraphics.ml *)
> open Graphics
> let _ =
>     open_graph "";
>     if point_color 0 0 = white then
>       prerr_endline "OK"
>     else prerr_endline "BUG"
> ;;

I received the bad answer :-(

You'll find the xdpyinfo output in attachment.

What can I do, boss ? Please !!!!!

\bye

--

                   Nicolas FRANCOIS
            http://nicolas.francois.free.fr

[-- Attachment #2: xdpyinfo.out --]

name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    40100000
XFree86 version: 4.1.0
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    7
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
    depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 255
focus:  window 0x180000e, revert to Parent
number of extensions:    26
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    GLX
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SGI-GLX
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XFree86-DRI
    XFree86-Misc
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (433x347 millimeters)
  resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
  depths (7):    16, 1, 4, 8, 15, 24, 32
  root window id:    0x4d
  depth of root window:    16 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    64
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 65535
  largest cursor:    64x64
  current input event mask:    0x58007f
    KeyPressMask             KeyReleaseMask           ButtonPressMask
    ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask          LeaveWindowMask
    PointerMotionMask        SubstructureNotifyMask   SubstructureRedirectMask
    PropertyChangeMask
  number of visuals:    32
  default visual id:  0x23
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x24
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x25
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x26
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x27
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x28
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x29
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x2a
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x2b
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x2c
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x2d
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x2e
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x2f
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x30
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x31
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x32
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x33
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x34
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x35
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x36
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x37
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x38
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x39
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x3a
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x3b
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x3c
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x3d
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x3e
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x3f
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x40
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x41
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x42

@ 2002-02-24 18:07   ` stalkern2
From: stalkern2 @ 2002-02-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: francois.hugel

Alle ore 15:56, sabato 23 febbraio 2002, Nicolas FRANCOIS (AKA El Bofo) ha
scritto:
> Si tu es sous Linux, tu ne PEUX PAS faire autrement qu'utiliser emacs et
> le mode tuareg. La, c'est presque parfait (il faut bien laisser du travail
> aux developpeurs ;-) Si vraiment tu ne peux pas faire autrement, il existe
> aussi un mode specialise pour Vi.

Sous Linux il y a aussi le très bon et très simple éditeur de ocamlbrowser.
Ocamlbrowser est le candidat outil de développement de ocaml, il est fourni
avec la distribution standard, il permet à la fois de feuilleter la
documentation, d'avoir un éditeur multi-pages et d'ouvrir des toplevels
interactifs doués de mémoire des commandes exécutés.

Ciao
Ernesto

* [Caml-list] Re:
@ 2002-02-23 20:56 ` Nicolas FRANCOIS
From: Nicolas FRANCOIS @ 2002-02-23 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: francois.hugel; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:05:02 +0100 (MET)
francois.hugel@free.fr wrote:

> Monsieur,
> j'ai le CD-ROM de l'INRIA avec le logiciel Caml Light, mais je ne sais
> pas comment accéder à un éditeur approprié pour taper des
> programmes.Pourriez-vous me renseigner,SVP, à l'adresse ci-dessous:
> francois.hugel@free.fr

Si tu es sous Window$, il suffit de lancer camlwin. Ca fait editeur (mal)
interactif, ca permet de se lancer. Assez rapidement, tu auras besoin d'un
editeur, si possible specialise. Tu trouveras cela sur le site de Caml
(pauillac.inria.fr/caml/), dans les ressources disponibles.

Si tu es sous Linux, tu ne PEUX PAS faire autrement qu'utiliser emacs et
le mode tuareg. La, c'est presque parfait (il faut bien laisser du travail
aux developpeurs ;-) Si vraiment tu ne peux pas faire autrement, il existe
aussi un mode specialise pour Vi.

Si tu es sos Mac... Heu, je ne sais pas.

\bye