From: Brian Hurt <brian.hurt@qlogic.com>
To: Stefan Heimann <lists@stefanheimann.net>
Cc: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Automatic generation of mli files
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:33:25 -0500 (CDT)	[thread overview]

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Stefan Heimann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searching for a way for generating the .mli file for a given source .ml
> file automatically. My basic idea is like that:
>
> (1) Specify in the .ml file which values and types should be exported
>     and if a type should be exported abstract or not. This could be
>     done with a special comment at the top of the file.
>
> (2) Filter the output of `ocamlc -i' to exclude the values and types
>     that should not be exported and to make the types abstract if
>     needed.

Not sure what advantage this would gain.  Step #1 is about as difficult as
simply writting the .mli file directly.  Actually, a fairly fast way to
produce an mli file is to do ocamlc -i foo.ml > foo.mli and fire up your
local text editor and delete everything out of foo.mli you don't want
exported.

I don't have a problem with .mli files being seperate from .ml files for
two reasons:

1) .mli is your external interface- changing that interface generally
means changing other files as well.  In this case, you're generally
already chaging other files.

2) The compiler checks the signature of the .mli file against what is
produced by the .ml file, so if you do "accidentally" change an exported
function's interface, and forget to change the .mli to match, the compiler
will catch it.

Brian