From: brogoff@speakeasy.net
To: "caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: feature priorities (was Re: [Caml-list] Request: matrix_init function in Array)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:52:58 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

I'm of the opinion that the implementors know best how to set their
priorities, so I don't feel compelled to volunteer their time for the
projects I find important. It's like that sign around the public swimming
pools when I was growing up which said something like "Don't pee in our pool
and we won't swim in your toilet."

That said, it would be nice if there were some sort of roadmap which mentioned
what was being planned for the future, with the understanding that anything
could change, that there would be no hard dates for features, and that whiners
who kept haranguing the list about their favorite feature would be shot in the
stomach, rolled in honey, and staked to a fire-ant mound in the desert sun.

My own short-list is very different from Ed's, as I don't care too much about
multithreading right now. Also, I try to separate *language* features from
implementation/library features. So, while I'd love it if I could call
ocamlopt generated native code from bytecode programs, or have a MLton style
supre-duper global optimizer, or have unsafe ops in Bigarray, those aren't on
my short list. So, at the risk of exposing myself to the punishment I describe
above, here it is, in roughly descending priority, with the caveat that I may
change my mind at any time

(1) Extensional polymorphism, since that brings type safe value IO,
    overloading, and dynamics to ML.
(2) Some way to make type definitions which had a type expression and a
    functor instantiation in a recursive relationship. I suppose that for
    all intents and purposes that is the same as recursive modules.
(3) More polymorphic records, a la SML#, or something like that.
(4) Some way to extend the class of tail recursive functions, as discussed
    recently in this list.

-- Brian

PS: If you want to flame about my choices, at least do so in a useful manner.
    At least it's a more interesting topic to me than the endless license
    flamewar ;-).