* [Caml-list] trouble with the caml-list search interface
@ 2004-03-09 12:33 Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2004-03-09 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Could anybody explain me how to use the caml-list search
interface?

Assume I am looking for this message
http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200309/msg00112.html and I remember
that it has been written by Xavier and contains the string
"List.map".

1. Attempt: I enter "Xavier Leroy" as search string and set the
   max files and max matches to max.

   Result: no message from September 2003

2. Now that I know the message I restrict the search to September
   2003.

   Result: Found 0 matches in 0 files.

3. Same for search string "List.map"

4. Now that I know the message I can search for
   "ast_impl_magic_number", a rather specific word.

   Result: Found 0 matches in 0 files

Am I doing something wrong?

Can anybody retrieve this message from the search interface?

Bye,

Hendrik

* Re: [Caml-list] trouble with the caml-list search interface
@ 2004-03-09 13:16 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-03-09 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews; +Cc: caml-list

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acaml.inria.fr+inurl%3Aarchives+%22Xavier+Leroy%22+List.map

The message you want is ranked #8 in the results.

Rich.

Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective
CAML programs. http://www.merjis.com/developers/perl4caml/

* Re: [Caml-list] trouble with the caml-list search interface
@ 2004-03-09 13:24 ` Henri DF
From: Henri DF @ 2004-03-09 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews; +Cc: caml-list

not sure about the search interface, but this one tends to be pretty good:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:caml.inria.fr+archives

@ 2004-03-09 13:43   ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2004-03-09 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews; +Cc: caml-list

 Richard Jones [Tuesday 9 March 2004] :

 > Google is your friend:
 >
 > http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acaml.inria.fr+inurl%3Aarchives+%22Xavier+Leroy%22+List.map
 >
 > The message you want is ranked #8 in the results.

much better, use Google Groups with this search string:

group:fa.caml author:"Xavier Leroy" List.map

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group%3Afa.caml%20author%3A%22Xavier%20Leroy%22%20List.map

--
   Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] trouble with the caml-list search interface
@ 2004-03-09 14:04     ` Henri DF
From: Henri DF @ 2004-03-09 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Andrieu; +Cc: Hendrik Tews, caml-list

not sure it's a good idea to search through google's version of fa.caml.
at least it wasn't accurate last year:

http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200304/msg00226.html

henri

@ 2004-03-09 15:29       ` brogoff
From: brogoff @ 2004-03-09 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

All of this googling is very nice, but the original question was something along
the lines of "why doesn't the search engine on the Caml web page work?".

Can someone answer that question?

I remember that it used to work well a long time ago, but it seems useless now.

-- Brian