From: Thomas Fischbacher <Thomas.Fischbacher@Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] String Problem
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:58:54 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

Dear Caml hackers,

I am just doing some quite large (string theory) calculation which
basically runs through a huge tree and does some computation at every
node in ocaml which I have to parallelize in an effective way. My present
approach is to set an alarm for the process doing the calculation, then
splitting into chunks and serializing all the work that corresponds to
nodes that have been touched but for which the calculation has not yet
been finished. The serialized strings are then compressed and sent out via
the net to other machines to help with the calculation.

I'd love to avoid temporary files, as these are not necessary, and my
design is simpler and cleaner without having to worry about filesystem
issues.

Now I encounter the problem that ocaml can only serialize to
strings, but these are limited to 16 MB in size. If my data set (which is
structured in a complicated way, i.e. it would be quite some effort to
write specialized readers and printers) gets large enough, this entire
approach therefore breaks down.

So, would it be that much of a problem to take the length information
for strings out of the type word (I suppose that's the problem here) and
use a proper 32-bit quantity on 32-bit machines here? I simply cannot
believe it's not many more people experiencing similar difficulties with
this 16 MB limitation on string lengths.

--
regards,               tf@cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de              (o_
 Thomas Fischbacher -  http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~tf  //\