* Pattern matching but no construction?
@ 2004-10-28 21:34 Harrison, John R
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Harrison, John R @ 2004-10-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Is there a way to use the OCaml module system to declare an
abstract type with an implementation as a recursive type in
such a way that:

 * You can use the constructors to pattern-match against

 * You cannot use the constructors to construct values

For example, suppose I do the following:

  module type Wibble =
    sig type thing = Integer of int | Boolean of bool
        val mk_thing : int -> thing
        val dest_thing: thing -> int
    end;;

  module Thing : Wibble = struct
    type thing = Integer of int | Boolean of bool
         let mk_thing i = Integer i
         let dest_thing t = match t with
           Integer i -> i
         | Boolean b -> if b then 1 else 0
    end;;

  include Thing;;

I can now define functions by pattern-matching, which I want:

  fun (Boolean b) -> b;;

but I can also use the constructors to construct, which I don't:

  Integer(3);;

On the other hand, if I change the signature to just

  module type Wibble =
    sig type thing
        val mk_thing : int -> thing
        val dest_thing: thing -> int
    end;;

then I can do neither. Is there any way to get one and not the
other?

John.

* Re: [Caml-list] Pattern matching but no construction?
@ 2004-10-28 22:30 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2004-10-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

You can hide the types held by the Integer and Boolean constructors and not
hide the variant type itself:

# module Thing : sig
  type integer
  type boolean
  type t = Integer of integer | Boolean of boolean
  val mk_thing : int -> t
  val dest_thing : t -> int
end = struct
  type integer = int
  type boolean = bool
  type t = Integer of integer | Boolean of boolean
  let mk_thing i = Integer i
  let dest_thing t = match t with
    Integer i -> i
  | Boolean b -> if b then 1 else 0
end;;
module Thing :
  sig
    type integer
    type boolean
    type t = Integer of integer | Boolean of boolean
    val mk_thing : int -> t
    val dest_thing : t -> int
  end

Then you could "open" the namespace of the Thing module, saving enormously on
typing:

# open Thing;;

Then you can use pattern matching to determine if a value of type "Thing.t"
uses the "Integer" or the "Boolean" constructor:

# fun (Boolean b) -> b;;
Warning: this pattern-matching is not exhaustive.
Here is an example of a value that is not matched:
Integer _
- : Thing.t -> Thing.boolean = <fun>

A better example might be:

# let is_bool = function Integer _ -> false | Boolean _ -> true;;
val is_bool : Thing.t -> bool = <fun>

Of course, if your pattern catches a value of type "Thing.integer" or
"Thing.boolean" then you can't do anything with it except hand it to a
function in the "Thing" module.

But you can't actually construct a "Thing.t" because you don't have access to
the hidden "integer" and "boolean" types in "Thing":

# Integer(3);;
This expression has type int but is here used with type Thing.integer

As an aside which you may well already know, convention is to use a type "t"
for the main type of a module (e.g. List.t, Array.t, String.t) and a function
"make" to construct it. Possibly also a function "compare" so you can build
sets and maps over the type, e.g.:

# module StringSet = Set.Make(String);;

Cheers,
Jon.

* Re: [Caml-list] Pattern matching but no construction?
@ 2004-10-28 22:33 ` William Lovas
From: William Lovas @ 2004-10-28 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harrison, John R; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:34:49PM -0700, Harrison, John R wrote:
> Is there a way to use the OCaml module system to declare an
> abstract type with an implementation as a recursive type in
> such a way that:
>
>  * You can use the constructors to pattern-match against
>
>  * You cannot use the constructors to construct values

Indeed, there is!  The relevant keyword is `private'.  See:

    http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/htmlman/manual021.html#@manual.kwd173

for details.

In your example, we just do:

> For example, suppose I do the following:
>
>   module type Wibble =
>  (* sig type thing = Integer of int | Boolean of bool *)
      sig type thing = private Integer of int | Boolean of bool
>         val mk_thing : int -> thing
>         val dest_thing: thing -> int
>     end;;
>
> [...]

And then it works as expected:

    # Thing.Integer 5;;
    Cannot create values of the private type Thing.thing
    # let thing = Thing.mk_thing 5;;
    val thing : Thing.thing = Thing.Integer 5
    # match thing with
        Thing.Integer i -> i
      | Thing.Boolean b -> 0;;
    - : int = 5

cheers,
William

* Re: [Caml-list] Pattern matching but no construction?
@ 2004-10-28 22:36 ` brogoff
From: brogoff @ 2004-10-28 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harrison, John R; +Cc: caml-list

private types do exactly what you want. How lucky. See where I inserted private
below, that should do it.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Harrison, John R wrote:

> Is there a way to use the OCaml module system to declare an
> abstract type with an implementation as a recursive type in
> such a way that:
>
>  * You can use the constructors to pattern-match against
>
>  * You cannot use the constructors to construct values
>
> For example, suppose I do the following:
>
>   module type Wibble =
>     sig type thing = Integer of int | Boolean of bool
                      ^
                      --- private