* OCaml IDE (more advanced debugger features)
@ 2005-06-20 20:07 Nathaniel J. Gaylinn
From: Nathaniel J. Gaylinn @ 2005-06-20 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

In playing with the debugger, two features which would be very useful to
me came to mind, but I'm not sure if they're even possible with the OCaml
debugger!

Is there any way to see the return value of a function in the debugger? I
can step to any point in the program with relative ease, and I can inspect
the value of any variable in my program while executing it, but how can I
see what a function has returned or is just about to return? Is it
possible? It's a pain to to compute the return value in my head from the
variables and keep track of it in later recursive calls.

Also, is there a way to find which expression is about to be evaluated in
the debugger? It's simple enough to know the character ocaml is about to
progress to, but is there a way to see what specific expression (a range
of text) the debugger is about to look into?

Thanks,

  -- Nate Gaylinn

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml IDE (more advanced debugger features)
@ 2005-06-21  9:54 ` Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2005-06-21  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

"Nathaniel J. Gaylinn" <ngaylinn@cs.brown.edu> writes:

   Is there any way to see the return value of a function in the debugger? I

Use *.
(See 16.7 in the manual
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual030.html#htoc186)

Bye,

Hendrik

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml IDE (more advanced debugger features)
@ 2005-06-21 13:53   ` Nathaniel J. Gaylinn
From: Nathaniel J. Gaylinn @ 2005-06-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Hendrik Tews wrote:

> "Nathaniel J. Gaylinn" <ngaylinn@cs.brown.edu> writes:
>
>    Is there any way to see the return value of a function in the debugger? I
>
> Use *.
> (See 16.7 in the manual
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual030.html#htoc186)
>
> Bye,
>
> Hendrik

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that when looking through the docs.

  -- Nate