* [Caml-list] (Announce) ocamlyacc tutorial (version 0.1)
@ 2004-09-01  8:33 SooHyoung Oh
From: SooHyoung Oh @ 2004-09-01  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I completed the ocamlyacc tutorial version 0.1.
Please check
http://pllab.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex_ocamlyacc/ocamlyacc-tutorial/index.html .
and report bug or wrong statements.
Actually, I borrowed almost all of the text from "bison" manual
and fixed it for "ocamlyacc".

Bug fix version will be followed in a few days.

As you know, the companion tutorial for ocamllex is available at
http://pllab.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex_ocamlyacc/ocamllex-tutorial/index.html.
Abstract

This is a tutorial on how to use ocamlyacc on which is distributed with
Ocaml language.

This tutorial borrowed lots of part from bison manual and some part from
Chap. 12 Lexer and parser generators (ocamllex, ocamlyacc).

The companion tutorial for ocamllex is available at
http://pllab.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex_ocamlyacc/ocamllex-tutorial/index.html.

Please mail all comments and suggestions to <shoh at compiler dot kaist dot
ac dot kr>

This tutorial is work-in-progress. The latest version can be found at
http://pllab.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex_ocamlyacc/ocamlyacc-tutorial/index.html.

You can find the source of this document in ocamlyacc_tutorial_src.tar.gz,
and for printing, pdf (A4 size) is presented.

Last updated: 2004-09-01

* Re: [Caml-list] (Announce) ocamlyacc tutorial (version 0.1)
@ 2004-09-01  9:51 ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2004-09-01  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh; +Cc: caml-list

SooHyoung Oh wrote:
> This tutorial borrowed lots of part from bison manual and some part from
> Chap. 12 Lexer and parser generators (ocamllex, ocamlyacc).

I am quite sure that this violates the licenses of both sources and you must
under no circumstance distribute this tutorial before you remove the parts
adapted from the ocaml manual.

Yours, Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] (Announce) ocamlyacc tutorial (version 0.1)
@ 2004-09-01 10:18   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2004-09-01 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Hars; +Cc: SooHyoung Oh, caml-list

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:51:33AM +0200, Florian Hars wrote:
> SooHyoung Oh wrote:
> > This tutorial borrowed lots of part from bison manual and some part from
> > Chap. 12 Lexer and parser generators (ocamllex, ocamlyacc).
>
> I am quite sure that this violates the licenses of both sources and you must
> under no circumstance distribute this tutorial before you remove the parts
> adapted from the ocaml manual.

Or get the permission of the ocaml manual authors for this modification.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] (Announce) ocamlyacc tutorial (version 0.1)
@ 2004-09-01 11:55     ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2004-09-01 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: SooHyoung Oh, caml-list

> Or get the permission of the ocaml manual authors for this modification.

But even then you still cannot mix it with the GFDL bison manual. Or, at least
I would not want to try to figure out how to to that... Maybe if you got
INRIA's permission for your changes and then include it all as an invariant
section so that nobody would be forced to ask INRIA for permission for further
changes, since they would not be allowed anyway. But this part is not
"secondary" so it is debatable whether it could be an invariant section.
Combining works under different free licenses is hard enough, trying it with
non-free licenses (whose flamewar/GR was that?) is worse.

Yours, Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] (Announce) ocamlyacc tutorial (version 0.1)
@ 2004-09-01 12:20       ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2004-09-01 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Hars; +Cc: Sven Luther, SooHyoung Oh, caml-list

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:55:35PM +0200, Florian Hars wrote:
> >Or get the permission of the ocaml manual authors for this modification.
>
> But even then you still cannot mix it with the GFDL bison manual. Or, at
> least I would not want to try to figure out how to to that... Maybe if you
> got INRIA's permission for your changes and then include it all as an
> invariant section so that nobody would be forced to ask INRIA for
> permission for further changes, since they would not be allowed anyway. But
> this part is not "secondary" so it is debatable whether it could be an
> invariant section.

Alternatively, the ocaml manual authors could relicence the parts under a GFDL
compatible licence, not that the GFDL with invariant part is a free licence
though, so you would really not gain much with that.

> Combining works under different free licenses is hard enough, trying it
> with non-free licenses (whose flamewar/GR was that?) is worse.

Indeed. A general freeing of the ocaml documentation would be welcome here.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] (Announce) ocamlyacc tutorial (version 0.1)
@ 2004-09-01 14:40   ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2004-09-01 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Florian Hars wrote:

> SooHyoung Oh wrote:
>> This tutorial borrowed lots of part from bison manual and some part from
>> Chap. 12 Lexer and parser generators (ocamllex, ocamlyacc).
>
> I am quite sure that this violates the licenses of both sources and you must
> under no circumstance distribute this tutorial before you remove the parts
> adapted from the ocaml manual.

Is there even anything worth adapting from the OCaml manual (other than
the information on things like the syntax of the mll and mly files, which
you can rewrite easily)?  The calculator example is next to useless, so
I'd just dump it...

William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

 	-- Jarvis Cocker

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)

* Re: [Caml-list] (Announce) ocamlyacc tutorial (version 0.1)
@ 2004-09-02 10:45 ` I R T
From: I R T @ 2004-09-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh; +Cc: caml-list

Or perhaps you can just rewrite and paraphrase the sections from the
two sources.

Eg: "He is a bastard" becomes "He was born out of wedlock" :-)