* Modules within classes
@ 2006-09-13  7:44 Martin Hofmann
From: Martin Hofmann @ 2006-09-13  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Oliver.Friedmann

Dear all,

Can someone explain what is wrong here and perhaps suggest a workaround?

class ['a] test ( l : 'a list) =
object
   method result =
     let module M =
      struct
        type t = 'a
        let compare x y =
          if x < y then -1 else if x > y then 1 else 0
      end
  in
    let module MSet = Set.Make(M)
    in  MSet.elements (List.fold_right MSet.add l MSet.empty)
end;;

OCaml says: "Unbound type parameter 'a".

Our aim is of course not to program sorting the umpteenth time but to
have a means for using Pervasives.Set within a parametrised class.

The problem seems to be that although "class ['a]" binds 'a its use is
nevertheless disallowed in the scope of the class declaration.

Many thanks in advance!

Martin Hofmann (on behalf of Oliver Friedmann)

* Re: [Caml-list] Modules within classes
@ 2006-09-13  8:10 ` Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2006-09-13  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Hofmann; +Cc: caml-list, Oliver.Friedmann

It's the same at normal scope:

type t = 'a;; doesn't compile.

you need: type 'a t = 'a, which isn't compatible with input type for Set.

I think the Set module is intentionally monomorphic...

Jonathan

@ 2006-09-13  9:36 ` Pietro Abate
From: Pietro Abate @ 2006-09-13  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, caml-list

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 09:44:30AM +0200, Martin Hofmann wrote:
> Can someone explain what is wrong here and perhaps suggest a workaround?

maybe you can try to encapsulate your class in a functor ?
but I guess this doesn't  really solve your problem...

module Make(T : sig type a end) = struct
    class test ( l : T.a list) =
    object
       method result =
         let module M =
          struct
            type t = T.a
            let compare x y =
              if x < y then -1 else if x > y then 1 else 0
          end
      in
        let module MSet = Set.Make(M)
        in  MSet.elements (List.fold_right MSet.add l MSet.empty)
    end;;
end

:)

++ Blog: http://blog.rsise.anu.edu.au/?q=pietro
++
++ "All great truths begin as blasphemies." -George Bernard Shaw
++ Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

* Re: [Caml-list] Modules within classes
@ 2006-09-13  9:48   ` Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2006-09-13  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Hofmann; +Cc: caml-list, Oliver.Friedmann

As for a workaround, use List.sort. I presume there's a real reason to
want to use Set rather than the contrived example given though... if
not, then there's your solution (=

Jonathan

PS: The order of traversing the list doesn't seem to be of much
significance, so List.fold_left might be better suited.