* Re: On language extensions (was Re: [Caml-list] global record)
@ 2006-07-20  1:12 Eric Breck
From: Eric Breck @ 2006-07-20  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> From: Daniel_Bünzli <daniel.buenzli@e...>
> Subject: On language extensions (was Re: [Caml-list] global record)
>
> Contrary to lisp's macros, each syntax extension is syntactically a
> new language. Hence not only do we need to learn a new semantics but
> also a new syntax. If I have to read someone else's code I want to
> read caml code and not caml code augmented with the author's
> syntactic obsessions.
>
> In code readability, there is a trade-off between succinctness and
> syntactic regularity. Camlp4 extensions increase the former but
> decrease the latter. For me camlp4's usage should be limited to real
> domain specific languages (e.g. like coq does) and research, it
> should not be used to increase ocaml's succinctness.

Succinctness is not precisely what I was after so much as locality -
in this case, having each option declared in a single location - as
opposed to the type definition in one place, the default value in
another, the Arg.spec in another, code to print the chosen value of
each option in another, and, optionally, the de-ref-ication in
another.  Such locality is a basic principle of software engineering,
and in this case I don't really know how to achieve it with only a
library (and not a syntax extension).

I'm not advocating extending the language willy-nilly, but I feel
that any new library already requires some amount of learning to use
its particular API, and if a small, local extension to the language
vastly shrinks (and localizes) code required to interface to the
library, it seems reasonable to me (IMHO).

To put it another way, I do not agree with the adage that "syntactic
sugar causes cancer of the semicolon." :)

As far as readability, I tried to choose syntax that would make clear
to a casual reader what was going on, but clearly I'm blinded by
having stared at this for awhile now.  As Nicolas Pouillard points
out, you can always unsugar the code.

Anyway, I've been using variants of this library for half a year or
so, and I've found it very convenient, so I thought I would offer it
to others.

> This may be seen as a matter of personal taste: it is true that I
> lean towards syntactic regularity, i.e. less syntactic constructs.
> However there is another argument against using extensions: code
> maintenance. You have no guarantee that (1) an extension will not be
> broken by the next version of the language and (2) that the author
> will continue to maintain it.

I'm not sure why either 1 or 2 is more true for a syntax extension
than for an arbitrary library, assuming the syntax extension doesn't
try to make large-scale changes to the grammar.

> P.S. Even for domain specific languages many things can be done in
> pure ocaml by embedding the dsl in ocaml using meta-programming
> techniques.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I understand meta-programming to
mean (roughly) generating code programatically.  A solution along
those lines to my problem (locality of command-line arguments) would
be something like this: specify the options in some file, write some
piece of code to process this and produce an ocaml file, which is
then compiled and linked with the main program.  I actually
originally did something along these lines, but then decided that
since this approach also requires defining and processing a new
syntax (of the option file), I would use camlp4 and integrate that
syntax into my main program.  That is, camlp4 *is* meta-programming,
it's just that it (a) integrates the DSL into the main program, and
(b) hides the intermediate file.

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point - if you could clarify
what you mean, I'd like to know what alternate approaches are.

Finally, I have the sense (perhaps I'm completely wrong) that the
post I'm responding to was motivated in part by a thought that
command-line option parsing is somehow not worthy of a domain-
specific language / syntax extension.  I suppose it is something of a
"syntactic obsession" with me to find a clear and concise way of
specifying such options, since I write mostly small, command-line
programs to which I want to be able to quickly add variant
functionality.  Clearly, the benefit to any particular program is
small - when you write enough of them, though, the lifetime savings
in tearing-my-hair-out is, I think, a win.

best,

-E r i c

(PS: sorry if this doesn't get threaded appropriately, I read the
digest of the list).