* libc.so.6
@ 2005-01-03 17:06 Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin
From: Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin @ 2005-01-03 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I have some problems with this library because I compiled a program in one
computer with version 2.3.3 and I need tu run my program in other computer
with an ancient version of libc.so.6 (it seems be the 2.0, anyway is from
Jan 19 2001). I have not access to the last computer then it is not
possible to recompile my program in ocaml with the ancient version.
Somebody knows how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,

José Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin

Laboratoire de Physique Théorique, LPT, Bâtiment 210,
Université Paris Sud (XI), 91405-ORSAY Cedex , France
Tél:(33)01.69.15.73.78
e-mail: ihameli@lri.fr
web: http://www.lri.fr/~ihameli

* Re: [Caml-list] libc.so.6
@ 2005-01-03 23:42 ` Thomas Fischbacher
From: Thomas Fischbacher @ 2005-01-03 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin wrote:

> I have some problems with this library because I compiled a program in one
> computer with version 2.3.3 and I need tu run my program in other computer
> with an ancient version of libc.so.6 (it seems be the 2.0, anyway is from
> Jan 19 2001). I have not access to the last computer then it is not
> possible to recompile my program in ocaml with the ancient version.
> Somebody knows how to solve this problem?

Well, there is a workaround, but I would never call this a solution:

assuming you are using linux, copy /lib/ld-linux.so.2, libc, and all the
other libraries you need to a dedicated directory DIR and start your
program with a wrapper script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $DIR and
then calls $DIR/ld-linux.so.2 <your-program>...

Dear children on this list, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. This method _sucks_.
Sometimes, it is the fastest and easiest way to get software where one
experiences such problems to run esp. on not too well maintained or
otherwise braindead systems (people using CMU CL on redhat derivatives
might know what I mean...), but it is at best an evil evil ugly workaround
that does not work too well with run-time dynamic linking (libdl) and
causes a score of other problems.

Unfortunately, there ARE some well known and widespread libraries in use
in the physics world that use just this technique to do utterly evil stuff
like overriding X libraries with broken old versions with known security
problems - only to get a known, homogeneous environment across a variety
of platforms. In one particular instance, install scripts like to even put
. permanently into LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Again, DO NOT DO THIS WITH SOFTWARE
YOU HAND OVER TO OTHER PEOPLE. There are better solutions to achieve the
same effect: please use a properly designed rootkit instead.

--
regards,               tf@cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de              (o_
 Thomas Fischbacher -  http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~tf  //\

* Re: [Caml-list] libc.so.6
@ 2005-01-04 19:33 ` Sachin Shah
From: Sachin Shah @ 2005-01-04 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ignacio Alvarez-Hamelin; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

Would it not be possible to static link against your newer library?  I
have done so with other libraries (qt, gtk, ...), but never with libc.
 This thread (http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200211/msg00052.html) has
some relevance to your question.

If you do this a lot, it should be quite easy to install both versions
of libc on your newer computer (linux is great for this).  Then, when
you compile the program, simply ensure that it is linking against the
older library and it should work on your older computer.

Regards,

Sachin.