* [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
@ 2021-05-09  7:33 Xavier Leroy
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2021-05-09  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear OCaml enthusiasts,

25 years ago, on May 9th 1996, release 1.00 of the Objective Caml language
and system was announced:
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html

It was already the consolidation of many years of work, integrating Jérôme
Vouillon and Didier Rémy's work on objects and classes within Caml Special
Light, itself a combination of my work on modules and native-code
compilation with earlier code taken from Caml Light, especially Damien
Doligez's GC.

Little did I know that O(bjective) Caml would still be there 25 years later!

A lot happened during this time, including several major evolutions of the
language, and, much more importantly, the emergence of a community of users
and an ecosystem of tools and libraries.  But maybe this was just the
beginning for something even bigger?  We'll see...

Happy birthday, OCaml!

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
@ 2021-05-09  7:42 ` François Pottier
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: François Pottier @ 2021-05-09  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Le 09/05/2021 à 09:33, Xavier Leroy a écrit :
> 25 years ago, on May 9th 1996, release 1.00 of the Objective Caml
> language and system was announced:
> <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html>

Time flies! Looking forward to the next 25 years.

Cheers,

--
François Pottier
francois.pottier@inria.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
@ 2021-05-09  8:35 ` Roberto Di Cosmo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Roberto Di Cosmo @ 2021-05-09  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml users

Long live OCaml!

Thanks Xavier, and to all the brilliant minds that contributed to the evolution
and adoption of this beautiful language, and system, in this past quarter of a century.

If I may add a personal note, one truly remarkable fact is that some rather
complex code written in 1998 using OCaml 1.07 [1] could be compiled and run last
year using OCaml 4.x *without modifications*: the only visible changes were the
new warnings spotting potential issues in the code, thanks to the many
improvements to the compiler over time.

For the curious, all the details are here: https://www.dicosmo.org/Articles/2020-ReScienceC.pdf

Cheers

--
Roberto

[1] that was the first version including support for marshalling closures,
added in a fantastic one week-spring in Pisa exactly for this code :-)

On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 09:33:35AM +0200, Xavier Leroy wrote:
>    Dear OCaml enthusiasts,
>    25 years ago, on May 9th 1996, release 1.00 of the Objective Caml
>    language and system was announced:
>    [1]https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html
>    It was already the consolidation of many years of work, integrating
>    Jérôme Vouillon and Didier Rémy's work on objects and classes within
>    Caml Special Light, itself a combination of my work on modules and
>    native-code compilation with earlier code taken from Caml Light,
>    especially Damien Doligez's GC.
>    Little did I know that O(bjective) Caml would still be there 25 years
>    later!
>    A lot happened during this time, including several major evolutions of
>    the language, and, much more importantly, the emergence of a community
>    of users and an ecosystem of tools and libraries.  But maybe this was
>    just the beginning for something even bigger?  We'll see...
>    Happy birthday, OCaml!
>    - Xavier Leroy
>
> References
>
>    1. https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html

--
Roberto Di Cosmo

Computer Science Professor
            (on leave at INRIA from IRIF/Université de Paris)

Director
Software Heritage                https://www.softwareheritage.org
INRIA
Bureau C328		     E-mail : roberto@dicosmo.org
2, Rue Simone Iff          Web page : http://www.dicosmo.org
CS 42112		    Twitter : http://twitter.com/rdicosmo
75589 Paris Cedex 12	        Tel : +33 1 80 49 44 42
GPG fingerprint 2931 20CE 3A5A 5390 98EC 8BFC FCCA C3BE 39CB 12D3

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
@ 2021-05-09 11:25 ` Christoph Cullmann
From: Christoph Cullmann @ 2021-05-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml users

On 2021-05-09 09:33, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> Dear OCaml enthusiasts,
>
> 25 years ago, on May 9th 1996, release 1.00 of the Objective Caml
> language and system was
> announced:https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html
>
> It was already the consolidation of many years of work, integrating
> Jérôme Vouillon and Didier Rémy's work on objects and classes
> within Caml Special Light, itself a combination of my work on modules
> and native-code compilation with earlier code taken from Caml Light,
> especially Damien Doligez's GC.
>
> Little did I know that O(bjective) Caml would still be there 25 years
> later!
>
> A lot happened during this time, including several major evolutions of
> the language, and, much more importantly, the emergence of a community
> of users and an ecosystem of tools and libraries.  But maybe this was
> just the beginning for something even bigger?  We'll see...
> Happy birthday, OCaml!

Congratulations, given the rise and fall of numerous programming
languages
during that time, it is a great accomplishment that OCaml is still alive
and growing after all that time.

Greetings
Christoph

--
Ignorance is bliss...
https://cullmann.io | https://kate-editor.org

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
@ 2021-05-09 13:13   ` Daniil Baturin
From: Daniil Baturin @ 2021-05-09 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Indeed. When I worked on resurrecting Lua-ML (github.com/lindig/lua-ml),
a 20+ year old research project, initially I thought it was going to be
quite an ordeal—but it wasn't. There aren't many languages where I had
good experience with reviving anything that old. The code does show its
age and it will benefit from refactoring with modern OCaml features in
mind, but it will keep working if left as is.

The commitment to compatibility and single-core performance preservation
in the multicore OCaml project is equally impressive.

I'm always grateful to the maintainers and the community for creating
and maintaining the language and its ecosystem.

On 5/9/21 3:35 PM, Roberto Di Cosmo wrote:
> Long live OCaml!
>
> Thanks Xavier, and to all the brilliant minds that contributed to the evolution
> and adoption of this beautiful language, and system, in this past quarter of a century.
>
> If I may add a personal note, one truly remarkable fact is that some rather
> complex code written in 1998 using OCaml 1.07 [1] could be compiled and run last
> year using OCaml 4.x *without modifications*: the only visible changes were the
> new warnings spotting potential issues in the code, thanks to the many
> improvements to the compiler over time.
>
> For the curious, all the details are here: https://www.dicosmo.org/Articles/2020-ReScienceC.pdf
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Roberto
>
> [1] that was the first version including support for marshalling closures,
> added in a fantastic one week-spring in Pisa exactly for this code :-)
>
> On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 09:33:35AM +0200, Xavier Leroy wrote:
>>    Dear OCaml enthusiasts,
>>    25 years ago, on May 9th 1996, release 1.00 of the Objective Caml
>>    language and system was announced:
>>    [1]https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html
>>    It was already the consolidation of many years of work, integrating
>>    Jérôme Vouillon and Didier Rémy's work on objects and classes within
>>    Caml Special Light, itself a combination of my work on modules and
>>    native-code compilation with earlier code taken from Caml Light,
>>    especially Damien Doligez's GC.
>>    Little did I know that O(bjective) Caml would still be there 25 years
>>    later!
>>    A lot happened during this time, including several major evolutions of
>>    the language, and, much more importantly, the emergence of a community
>>    of users and an ecosystem of tools and libraries.  But maybe this was
>>    just the beginning for something even bigger?  We'll see...
>>    Happy birthday, OCaml!
>>    - Xavier Leroy
>>
>> References
>>
>>    1. https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-05-09 19:01 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2021-05-09 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml users

Thanks for all the fantastic work, and happy birthday, OCaml!

I still remember my first time trying out OCaml, some time during 1998
(version 1.07, if I remember correctly).  My nagging doubt about the
quality of the language we were taught at university at the time (C++) led
me to investigate better alternatives.  And sure enough, I was not
disappointed!  The quality of the engineering was immediately obvious when
OCaml compiled out of the box on all our diverse Unix platforms, including
64 bit native code generation on our DEC Alpha.  Needless to say, it didn't
take OCaml long to also convince me of its superior language design.

I hope OCaml will stay around for at least another 25 years and hopefully
receive the recognition it richly deserves.

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* RE: [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-05-16 11:53 ` Jeanmarc Eber
From: Jeanmarc Eber @ 2021-05-16 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users; +Cc: Xavier Leroy

Thank you, Xavier, for this reminder.

When founding LexiFi more than 22 years ago, we decided to bet all our technological future on OCaml.
We never had to regret it.

Many thanks to all contributors, may they be academics, private enthusiasts, companies, or related institutions.

OCaml is the tool that makes our day-to-day programming work fun and contributes giving LexiFi a clear advantage over many of our competitors.

Happy birthday, OCaml!

Jean-Marc Eber, founder and CEO, LexiFi

@ 2021-05-18 14:30   ` Muriel SHAN SEI FAN
From: Muriel SHAN SEI FAN @ 2021-05-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Xavier Leroy

Thanks so much Xavier, on behalf of the OCamlPro team :-)
We could not say better than Jean-Marc's beautiful testimony (by the way
OCamlPro just turned 10).
25 years already! We feel grateful for this wonderful gift of a
state-of-the-art, powerful, fun and addictive language, and for being
part of this sparkling community.
No doubt many industrial and academic users and contributors will keep
being attracted to OCaml, growing into a strong ecosystem.
Bravo !
Muriel, p/o all the OCamlPro team

--
Muriel SHAN SEI FAN, présidente