* [Caml-list] ocamldep and stdlib
@ 2021-12-10 21:37 David E. Narvaez
From: David E. Narvaez @ 2021-12-10 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Greetings,

I am fairly inexperienced with OCaml but I have inherited a Makefile from a
project, and it uses ocamldep in a way that is equivalent to the following
example:

$ cat hello.ml
module StringSet = Set.Make(String) ;;
module StringMap = Map.Make(String) ;;
$ ocamldep -I /usr/lib64/ocaml/ hello.ml
hello.cmo : \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/string.cmi \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/set.cmi \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/map.cmi
hello.cmx : \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/string.cmx \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/set.cmx \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/map.cmx

The problem is those dependency files do not exist, instead I have these
files:

$ ls -1 /usr/lib64/ocaml/*{string,set,map}.cm[ix]
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__map.cmi
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__map.cmx
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__set.cmi
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__set.cmx
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__string.cmi
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__string.cmx

I have noticed that I do not get incorrect filenames (in fact, any filenames)
if I do not specify the location of the ocaml libraries:

$ ocamldep hello.ml
hello.cmo :
hello.cmx :

but I was hoping I did not have to change the call in the Makefile.

I have tested this in OCaml 4.09.0 and 4.12.1. Is this a bug? or what is the
correct way of using ocmaldep in this case?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
David E. Narvaez