* -linkall segmentation faults
@ 2005-06-02  5:47 Frank Dellaert
From: Frank Dellaert @ 2005-06-02  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi
we have a very extensive robotics/vision code-base that mixes C and
Ocaml. The library is divided in about 30 different libraries that can
be linked in with the main program, depending on its functionality.
However, the executables that ocamlopt produces started to get too
large (10MB and more) so I decided to remove the -linkall flag.
However, we quickly found that
(1) removing the -linkall on certain libraries immediately crashes our
executables
(2) even after re-instituting -linkall for those, we still experience
random crashes (2 out of 5 runs)
I suspect, based on examining core dumps, that it is C-externals or
garbage collection problems. Two questions:
a) I do believe this is a genuine bug: the linker should find out which
modules to link. Can it be added to a list of bugs in Ocaml ?
b) how can we work around it, and/or identify which libraries cause the
problem ?
Cheers
Frank Dellaert
Asst. professor, Georgia Tech

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-06-02  5:47 UTC | newest]