* symbol table containing symbol tables
@ 2007-01-03  1:59 William W Smith
From: William W Smith @ 2007-01-03  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

In pidgin OCaml I'd like to write something like

type complicated =
    IVal of int
    | StrVa, of string
    | SymTableVal of symTable
and
    symTable = Map(string -> complicated)

I tried many variations on using the Map module to implement a recursive data structure like this.  I failed miserably.  (The above wasn't the syntax I ever used, but it gets the idea across.)

However, when I create an object
class [ 'key, 'content ] table : ('key -> 'key -> int) ->
object
,,,
end

I can successfully declare
type complicated =
    IVal of int
    | StrVal of string
    | SymTableVal of (string, complicated) table
that does what I want.   Ithis isn't the whole declaration of complicated, but I believe once I get this declaration working, the more quirky variations work too.

Do I need one of the more advanced features of OCaml that I don't currently understand to use Map the way that I want without writing a whole table class?  I don't even see how I can use Map from inside the table class to do what I want which would also be acceptable.

I don't want to have to break open the Map module to modify it and thus change the licensing of my final program.

Thanks

Bill

* Re: [Caml-list] symbol table containing symbol tables
@ 2007-01-03  2:26 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-01-03  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 01:59, William W Smith wrote:
> Do I need one of the more advanced features of OCaml that I don't currently
> understand to use Map the way that I want without writing a whole table
> class?  I don't even see how I can use Map from inside the table class to
> do what I want which would also be acceptable.

You need recursive modules, something like this:

# module rec StringMap : Map.S = Map.Make(String)
  and Symbols : sig
    type t =
      | IVal of int
      | StrVal of string
      | SymTableVal of t StringMap.t
  end = struct
    type t =
      | IVal of int
      | StrVal of string
      | SymTableVal of t StringMap.t
  end;;
module rec StringMap : Map.S
and Symbols :
  sig
    type t = IVal of int | StrVal of string | SymTableVal of t StringMap.t
  end

HTH.

Objective CAML for Scientists

* Re: [Caml-list] symbol table containing symbol tables
@ 2007-01-03  2:29 ` Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2007-01-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William W Smith; +Cc: caml-list

I don't believe you can eliminate the type variable (for the values
associated with the keys) from Map's signature. I would personally
just use a Hashtbl instead.

type complicated = Val of int | StrVal of string | SymTableVal of symTable
and symTable = (string, complicated) Hashtbl.t

Jonathan

@ 2007-01-03  2:33   ` Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2007-01-03  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

Ooh, that's clever. An actual use case for recursive modules that's
also simple :-)