* ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler
@ 2007-10-11 17:43 Jake Donham
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jake Donham @ 2007-10-11 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

We are pleased to announce a preliminary version of ocamljs, a back-end
to ocamlc that produces Javascript. It needs a lot of work still, but we
are using it for production work at Skydeck. We hope that you will find
it useful. More at:

   http://skydeck.com/blog/programming/ocamljs-ocaml-to-javascript-compiler/

Jake Donham, for Skydeck

* Re: [Caml-list] ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler
@ 2007-10-11 22:27 ` Arnaud Spiwack
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Arnaud Spiwack @ 2007-10-11 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

I'm truly impressed, slightly glad, and almost in love by/because of/of
this product.

However lack of cross-browser portability seems a severe drawback to me.
To write javascript code, it is more and more popular to use frameworks
(well, it is indispensible actually). My personnal favorite, which seems
to be rather popular is http://mootools.net/ . It provides better
constructs for basic operations (and then high level more specialized
stuff). I would love to see your product actually producing mootools
core (or a bit not so core) code.

That is I would love it much much more that way :p .

Yours,

Arnaud Spiwack

* Re: [Caml-list] ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler
@ 2007-10-11 22:45   ` Jake Donham
From: Jake Donham @ 2007-10-11 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 10/11/07, Arnaud Spiwack <aspiwack@lix.polytechnique.fr> wrote:
> However lack of cross-browser portability seems a severe drawback to me.

We have not tested it on browsers other than Firefox but that doesn't
mean it won't work (or can't be made to work) on others. My
understanding is that it is the DOM rather than the Javascript dialect
that varies across browsers.

> To write javascript code, it is more and more popular to use frameworks
> (well, it is indispensible actually). My personnal favorite, which seems
> to be rather popular is http://mootools.net/ . It provides better
> constructs for basic operations (and then high level more specialized
> stuff). I would love to see your product actually producing mootools
> core (or a bit not so core) code.

I don't know mootools, but it is very straightforward to wrap
Javascript in OCaml with ocamljs; see the included Mozilla library for
a small example.

Jake

* Re: [Caml-list] ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler
@ 2007-10-12  1:06 ` Komtanoo Pinpimai
From: Komtanoo Pinpimai @ 2007-10-12  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

How about ocaml => java => gwt => javascript. ;)

On 10/11/07, Jake Donham <jake.donham@skydeck.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are pleased to announce a preliminary version of ocamljs, a back-end
> to ocamlc that produces Javascript. It needs a lot of work still, but we
> are using it for production work at Skydeck. We hope that you will find
> it useful. More at:
>

> http://skydeck.com/blog/programming/ocamljs-ocaml-to-javascript-compiler/
>
> Jake Donham, for Skydeck

virtue is like underwear, it has to go with you, but you do not need to show
it.

* Re: [Caml-list] ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler
@ 2007-10-12 16:47 ` David Teller
From: David Teller @ 2007-10-12 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake Donham; +Cc: caml-list

That's absolutely great news !
I was just considering writing one such myself.

Cheers,
 David

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 10:43 -0700, Jake Donham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are pleased to announce a preliminary version of ocamljs, a back-end
> to ocamlc that produces Javascript. It needs a lot of work still, but we
> are using it for production work at Skydeck. We hope that you will find
> it useful. More at:
>
>    http://skydeck.com/blog/programming/ocamljs-ocaml-to-javascript-compiler/
>
> Jake Donham, for Skydeck

* Re: [Caml-list] ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-10-17 18:39 ` Peter.Gregory
From: Peter.Gregory @ 2007-10-17 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, Jake Donham

Jake Donham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are pleased to announce a preliminary version of ocamljs, a back-end
to ocamlc that produces Javascript. It needs a lot of work still, but we

> are using it for production work at Skydeck. We hope that you will find
it useful. More at:

>   http://skydeck.com/blog/programming/ocamljs-ocaml-to-javascript-compiler/
>
> Jake Donham, for Skydeck

Hi

I've been trying to get ocamljs installed and have run into a problem.
I've installed Ocaml 3.10, and sym-linked the install directory, but when
I try to make ocamljs, ocamlbuild seems to fail.

Not even one file builds, and after a long error message, finally reports:

Exiting due to hygiene violations.
Compilation unsuccessful after building 0 targets (0 cached) in 00:00:10.

I'm using Cygwin, if that helps.

Thanks,
Peter.

* Re: [Caml-list] ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler
@ 2007-10-18 16:38   ` Nathaniel Gray
From: Nathaniel Gray @ 2007-10-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter.Gregory; +Cc: caml-list, Jake Donham

I think that means you need to "make clean" before you try to build
with ocamlbuild.

Cheers,
-n8