* natdynlink branch and Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-16 22:09 Nathaniel Gray
From: Nathaniel Gray @ 2007-10-16 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list List

Hi folks,

I was wondering if it's to be expected that the natdynlink branch
doesn't compile on Mac OS X (Intel).  This is the error we get:

../../ocamlcompopt.sh -shared -o unix.cmxs -I . unix.cmxa
/usr/bin/ld: unix.cmxs.startup.o has external relocation entries in
non-writable section (__TEXT,__text) for symbols:
_caml_call_gc
_caml_young_limit
_caml_young_ptr
_caml_extra_params
/usr/bin/ld: unix.cmxs.startup.o has local relocation entries in
non-writable section (__TEXT,__text)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thanks,
-n8

--
>>>-- Nathaniel Gray -- Caltech Computer Science ------>
>>>-- Mojave Project -- http://mojave.cs.caltech.edu -->

* Re: [Caml-list] natdynlink branch and Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-17  6:25 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2007-10-17  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Gray; +Cc: Caml-list List

Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> I was wondering if it's to be expected that the natdynlink branch
> doesn't compile on Mac OS X (Intel).  This is the error we get:

Mac OS X is not explicitly supported. I think I've made the branch work
on Mac OS X Intel (contrary to Mac OS X PowerPC) at some point, but I'm
not sure and I don't have permanent access to such a box to test it.

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] natdynlink branch and Mac OS X
@ 2007-10-18 17:51   ` Nathaniel Gray
From: Nathaniel Gray @ 2007-10-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: Caml-list List

On 10/16/07, Alain Frisch <alain@frisch.fr> wrote:
> Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> > I was wondering if it's to be expected that the natdynlink branch
> > doesn't compile on Mac OS X (Intel).  This is the error we get:
>
> Mac OS X is not explicitly supported. I think I've made the branch work
> on Mac OS X Intel (contrary to Mac OS X PowerPC) at some point, but I'm
> not sure and I don't have permanent access to such a box to test it.

Do you suspect this is just a matter of working out the right
compiler/linker flags or is it probably something deeper?  I might be
able to get you ssh access to a MacIntel on an as-needed basis if that
would help.

Cheers,
-n8

--

@ 2007-11-12 19:06 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2007-11-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Gray; +Cc: Caml-list List

Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> I was wondering if it's to be expected that the natdynlink branch
> doesn't compile on Mac OS X (Intel).

The HEAD branch (which includes the natdynlink features) now works fine
under Mac OS X Intel 10.4 and 10.5. Any help testing (in particular
under 10.3) would be appreciated. It is not planned to make dynlinking
of native code work on PPC Macs.

-- Alain