From: "Nathaniel Gray" <n8gray@gmail.com>
To: "Jon Harrop" <jon@ffconsultancy.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:39:08 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 July 2008 11:03:12 Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>
>> I don't like emacs and vi. My editor of choice for the last 13
>> years has been nedit (Nirvana Editor) which has syntax highlighting
>> for dozens of languages (and it easy to add new ones or modify
>> existing ones), regex search/replace and macros. Its configurable
>> so over the years I have bent it into the shape I  want. The same
>> goes for my Unix shell.
>
> I assume nedit does not even have basic type throwback, let alone
> documentation throwback?

As the guy who implemented one generic form of "throwback" for NEdit,
namely calltips, I can tell you that it certainly does support it and
I've used it extensively.  It's an editor that is extremely flexible
without being *too* obscure, so you can get it to do just about
anything you want.  I have been unable to find another editor that has
the same combination of power, flexibility, and ease-of-use, and I've
looked far and wide.

Having said that, I'm afraid NEdit development has sunk into a tar
pit.  There is no effective leadership on the project and it's
inextricably tied to the Motif toolkit, which means very few new
developers will sign on.  I've given up and switched to jEdit, which
has a similar spirit (platform-independent, language-independent,
flexible) but, being written in Java, a much higher bloat factor.  But
hey, with 2GB of ram it doesn't feel so bad to give 150MB to my text
editor any more.  I would *love* to have an alternative written in
OCaml, since my forays into the jEdit code have left me with
unpleasant feelings...

Cheers,
-n8