* [Caml-list] Compiling Cryptokit on Windows
@ 2012-02-06 17:09 Romain Bardou
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Romain Bardou @ 2012-02-06 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

There has been some discussion during the last few months were some
argued that there was not enough Windows users to test libraries. Well
it happens that I need to compile Cryptokit for Windows. Here are my
first results, which failed miserably. I'm using OCaml 3.12.

1) With Cryptokit 1.5.

INSTALL.txt states that I need findlib. I installed OCaml from:
	http://protz.github.com/ocaml-installer/
And it seems that ocamlfind is not installed by this tool. After more
search I read here:
	http://www.camlcity.org/archive/programming/findlib.html
that "Volunteers are still wanted who port findlib to Windows and
Macintosh."

So I guess that every OASIS project needs findlib, but findlib does not
work on Windows, so all OASIS projects will not be usable on Windows? I
thought on the contrary that OASIS was a step towards unification?

I tried anyway without findlib, running:
	ocaml setup.ml -configure
I get this error: "'c:\Program' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande
interne" (i.e. "unrecognized internal command"). The command which is
supposed to be run is:
	c:\Program Files\OCaml\bin\ocamlc.opt.EXE -config > somefile.txt
It just misses quotes, which seems kind of silly.

2) With Cryptokit 1.3.

So I gave up and tried an older version whose INSTALL file explains how
to install on Windows.

I checked variables in Makefile.win and ran:
	make -f Makefile.win
Now the error I get is that gcc cannot find "C:\Program
Files\OCaml\lib/ocamlrun.a", which actually does not exist, so this is
not a surprise. This file "ocamlrun.a" does not exist either on my
Debian computer, so I'm a little surprised here.

I think I'll try cross-compiling now, or maybe editing "setup.ml" to put
quotes around the command.

Cheers,

--
Romain Bardou