* [Caml-list] Surely there is a very simple way to upgrade to the latest releases of opam & ocaml
@ 2018-12-23 22:40 Robert Muller
From: Robert Muller @ 2018-12-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have opam version 1.2.2 and ocaml 4.03.0. I'd like to upgrade to the
latest versions of both, I suppose this would be opam 2.0.2 and ocaml
4.07.0.  I know there must be a very straightforward way to simply *install
the latest* of each of these. But I don't see it. For ocaml, I believe this
requires a switch. But what is the simple way to upgrade opam itself?
Thank you,
Bob Muller

* Re: [Caml-list] Surely there is a very simple way to upgrade to the latest releases of opam & ocaml
@ 2018-12-23 23:12 ` Robert Muller
From: Robert Muller @ 2018-12-23 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

My apologies, I missed the first paragraph. - RM

@ 2018-12-23 23:13 ` SP
From: SP @ 2018-12-23 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

You are correct about `opam switch ...`. Opam tends to be installed using the package manager or in one of the methods decribed here:
https://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Install.html

--
	SP

* Re: [Caml-list] Surely there is a very simple way to upgrade to the latest releases of opam & ocaml
@ 2018-12-24  6:31   ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-12-24  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018, SP wrote:

> You are correct about `opam switch ...`. Opam tends to be installed using the
> package manager or in one of the methods decribed here:
> https://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Install.html

It would be nice to have in an obvious place a concrete example of how to
get the latest version of ocaml.  For example the opam usage page
(https://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Usage.html) has a Basics section that proposes
opam upgrade as "Bring everything to the latest version possible", but I
guess that would be everything except OCaml itself?

There is a documentation for opam switch further down, but first one has
to know to find it, and then it talks about "have several installations on
disk" (several installations of what?) and "Use cases include having to
work or test with different OCaml versions," but nothing about upgrading
to th latest version of OCaml.

There is "Use opam switch create [name] <package-or-version> to switch to
a different compiler." but no concrete example of what a
<package-or-version> looks like.

I submitted an OCaml bug report about this.

I also basically find the word switch very confusing and unmemorable.  It
is both a noun and a verb with different meanings, and I don't know which
is intended.  The documentation seems to use both, which is more
confusing than helpful.

julia