* Re: [Caml-list] geany as an ocaml ide
       [not found]     ` <fa.7UNgdMcpsuTGVINo2cZWiHvr2Wg@ifi.uio.no>
@ 2013-02-13  9:13       ` ftovagliari
From: ftovagliari @ 2013-02-13  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fa.caml; +Cc: Martin DeMello, caml-list

Hello,

Most of the features of OCamlEditor are closely related to each other and to the
GTK library and it would require a considerable effort to make them available
separately for other projects. However there are some widgets that can be reused
quite easily such as the search results widget, quick file chooser, location
history, dependency graph viewer, maybe the cmt view.
OCamlEditor contains also a separated library, "gmisclib", with some generic
widgets that can help.

Francesco

@ 2013-02-13 16:30   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2013-02-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Louis Gesbert', caml-list

I tried to do something similar once but the experience of trying to write
even the simplest GUI app using OCaml was horrific using Emacs and I gave
up. In contrast, I often develop GUI apps using F# and it is very easy. The
main difference is having an IDE (Visual Studio) with Intellisense so you
can explore APIs interactively from the editor without having to go back and
forth between Emacs and OCamlBrowser (a nice tool but completely
unintegrated).

So this is a chicken and egg problem: writing GUI apps is much harder in
OCaml than it could be with a GUI app to help you write GUI apps in OCaml.

I do think this is the right problem to be attacking though. OCaml could be
a fantastic language for GUI development thanks to polymorphic variants and
so on. The marriage of a metalanguage with good GUI support is incredibly
powerful.

Cheers,
Jon.

@ 2013-02-12 11:29     ` Louis Gesbert
From: Louis Gesbert @ 2013-02-12 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin DeMello; +Cc: caml-list

@ 2013-02-11 23:24   ` Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2013-02-11 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Gesbert; +Cc: caml-list

@ 2013-02-11 13:34         ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2013-02-11 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Louis Gesbert, caml-list

We are all using different editors, and sometimes, we are even using the
same editor with different OCaml modes. The point is not to choose the
editor beginners are going to use in the next 20 years, but to provide a
minimal environment for beginners with OCaml.

Actually, many programmers use an editor specific to their language
(Eclipse for Java, Charm for Python, etc.), because they often provide a
better environment for that language than generic editors.

We decided to implement a new editor because we wanted to design the
basic building blocks both for this simple editor, and to be useful to
improve existing editors (Emacs, Vim, etc.).

--Fabrice

On 02/11/2013 01:59 PM, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> The OCaml installer for windows (
> http://protz.github.com/ocaml-installer/ ) optionally downloads and
> install Emacs, configured for OCaml use. Couldn't the same approach be
> used to install Geany (or whatever modern-beginner-friendly existing
> editor that works on Windows) on end-user systems?
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Fabrice Le Fessant
> <Fabrice.Le_fessant@inria.fr> wrote:
>> Hi Gabriel,
>>
>>    The goal of this editor is not to replace Emacs or VI, but to be part of a
>> minimal distribution under Windows (by OCamlPro): the idea is that Windows
>> users downloading OCaml should be able to start writing a simple OCaml
>> program without installing anything else. Of course, under Linux/Mac OS X,
>> or for bigger projects, they would be advised to use more powerful editors
>> (Emacs, Vim, Notepad++, etc.).
>>
>>    Moreover, the two paradigms are not incompatible: you can imagine two
>> versions of the "editor", one version with an interface (GTK or whatever) to
>> interact with beginners, another version with a argument/text interface, to
>> interact with other editors, both providing the same set of functionalities
>> (indentation, coloring, documentation, code navigation, etc.) through the
>> same set of libraries, and why not a Javascript version through
>> js_of_ocaml...
>>
>> --Fabrice

[-- Attachment #2: fabrice_le_fessant.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Fabrice LE FESSANT
n:LE FESSANT;Fabrice
org:INRIA Saclay -- Ile-de-France;P2P & OCaml
adr;quoted-printable:;;Parc Orsay Universit=C3=A9 ;Orsay CEDEX;;91893;France
email;internet:fabrice.le_fessant@inria.fr
title;quoted-printable:Charg=C3=A9 de Recherche
tel;work:+33 1 74 85 42 14
tel;fax:+33 1 74 85 42 49
url:http://fabrice.lefessant.net/
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: [Caml-list] geany as an ocaml ide
@ 2013-02-11 13:12     ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2013-02-11 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Louis Gesbert, caml-list

Le lundi, 11 février 2013 à 13:14, Gabriel Scherer a écrit :
> I must say I'm a bit dubious of dedicated editors: people prefer to
> use the tools they're familiar with from other languages, and I'm not
> really sure what the added value of a different tool would be.

Yes, I would actually advise any beginner to take time to teach them once vim or emacs. Having done that they will have a tool they can use with almost any language under any circumstance (e.g. on a server via tty).

I really don't believe in language specific editors, you rarely program in a single language at the same time -- shell script, C, tex, xml, json, configuration files, etc.

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] geany as an ocaml ide
@ 2013-02-11 12:58       ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-02-11 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Le Fessant; +Cc: Louis Gesbert, caml-list

@ 2013-02-11 12:47     ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2013-02-11 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Louis Gesbert, caml-list

@ 2013-02-11 12:14   ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-02-11 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Gesbert; +Cc: caml-list

> [...]

>> use them will know how to do it)
>> * anything that did not provide a binary install for Windows and OSX,
>> and wasn't a simple configure/make/make install on linux
>> * anything that needed fiddling with config files just to install it
>> * anything that needed the OCaml sources to be independently present
>> and configured (!)
>> * anything that was abandoned, or didn't seem to support OCaml 4
>>
>> I was left with Geany and Komodo Edit as possibilities, and Geany won
>> out by letting me open up a test.ml file and immediately being able to
>> find and run the OCaml compiler. At least on Linux, it was a perfect
>> beginner-friendly experience.
>>
>> So what do people think about ocaml.org officially promoting Geany as
>> the answer to "I'm learning OCaml; what is a good IDE?"? I'd be happy
>> to write up a page on it and contribute it.

@ 2013-02-11 11:40 ` Louis Gesbert
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Louis Gesbert @ 2013-02-11 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2013-02-11  1:37 ` Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2013-02-11  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin DeMello; +Cc: caml-list

This page [1] needs some help and is probably a good place for discussion
about IDEs. Please add any discussion you'd like and we'll merge it. Given
your list below, maybe you want to make a table of features with a
checkmark for each IDE having that feature (but that could be hard to
maintain, so plain prose might be better).

[1] http://ocaml.org/dev_tools.html

@ 2013-02-11  0:49 Martin DeMello