* overbld -- OCaml / MinGW / Win32
@ 2009-09-30 20:30 dmitry grebeniuk
       [not found] ` <20091001.104532.670395585433030105.Christophe.Troestler+ocaml@umons.ac.be>
From: dmitry grebeniuk @ 2009-09-30 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello.

I have an OCaml / MinGW / Win32 build system
that I've described in the post
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2009/09/1e88034bf03350ad0488a20dce729f79.en.html

For now, it is a mercurial repository with http pull
access with url
http://gdsfh.dyndns.org:8000/
(so you can clone repository with
$ hg clone http://gdsfh.dyndns.org:8000/ overbld
command)
Some build/install documentation can be found
in files /INSTALL and /doc/mingw-msys-setup.txt.

The status is "it works for me", and I'm interested in
any patches, fixes, improvements and comments.

  The license is not included in repo, so I'm stating
the license here.  This project should be used only
for personal needs, without any distribution, and you
must accept this:
1. overbld scripts are distributed under gpl/bsd license.
2. you should not violate any "package"'s license
found at /src/package/orig/ directory,
3. nobody can distribute the default binary builds of
overbld, because overbld scripts build ocaml with
my own patches by default.
4. this "license" can be modified later, when it will
be possible to build binary packages that comply
every "package"'s license.
5. this "license" or the distribution will be fixed
as soon as possible, if it doesn't comply any of
packages' license.
6. when there will be any good enough license,
it will be placed in file /LICENSE in the overbld
repository, and this "license" (in the caml-list)
will lose any meaning.

  Despite of the numerous patches,  every
"packages"'s sources in this repository are not
modified, the sources can be found at
/src/package/orig.

  The license is very far from the useful one, but I
don't know what the acceptable license could be
used here for this kind of project.

  Repository hosting is not fast -- it's my own
home host, 256kbit/s outgoing only.  I haven't found
any acceptable hosting for this kind of project.
freehg.org is buggy with heavy downtimes,
bitbucket.org won't host such a big repository,
google-code asks me for a license, and.. you
see, I don't know what a license there should be.
I haven't found any other good enough public
mercurial hosting.  Any ideas?

* Re: [Caml-list] overbld -- OCaml / MinGW / Win32
@ 2009-09-30 23:36 ` Mykola Stryebkov
       [not found] ` <20091001.104532.670395585433030105.Christophe.Troestler+ocaml@umons.ac.be>
From: Mykola Stryebkov @ 2009-09-30 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmitry grebeniuk; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

On 30 Вер 2009, at 23:30, dmitry grebeniuk wrote:
>  Repository hosting is not fast -- it's my own
> home host, 256kbit/s outgoing only.  I haven't found
> any acceptable hosting for this kind of project.
> freehg.org is buggy with heavy downtimes,
> bitbucket.org won't host such a big repository,
> google-code asks me for a license, and.. you
> see, I don't know what a license there should be.
> I haven't found any other good enough public
> mercurial hosting.  Any ideas?

http://code.google.com/hosting/createProject
Now they allow to choose version control system.

--
Mykola Stryebkov
Blog: http://mykola.org/blog/

@ 2009-10-01  9:54   ` dmitry grebeniuk
From: dmitry grebeniuk @ 2009-10-01  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I make a "group reply" to avoid unnecessary flood.

Mykola,
the problem with google code is not with VCS but with license.
google code's documentation states:
"... we think that license proliferation is bad for the open source
community, so we only allow a subset of licenses to be used
on Google Code as a way of discouraging license proliferation.
License proliferation means the creation and use of new OSS
licenses that have no reason for existing. There are over 200
open source approved licenses, most of which are variants
of existing licenses that do not add much value."
My project has more complex license, because it includes
many "packages" (copies of original sources), each with
its own license.  I don't want to make attempts to convince
google code's guys that my license should be accepted.

Seo,
sourceforge is a great idea -- they give mercurial hosting,
they require the software to be "open source" only, and they
have pretty nice internet connection.  So, I had no choice :)

project home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/overbld/

read-only mercurial repository:
http://overbld.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgroot/overbld/overbld

I will grant read-write access to everyone who wants
to contribute (you will need sourceforge account
for this).

Christophe,
registering project on forge.ocamlcore.org is a good idea,
but I don't want to use two trackers, two mail-lists,
two "homepages" instead of one centralized site,
so I don't know whether it will be acceptable to use
forge.ocamlcore.org's project _only_ as a redirection
to sourceforge.