* [Caml-list] Fully-funded 3-years Phd scolarship at Université d’Orléans, France
@ 2019-02-22 14:30 Frédéric Dabrowski
From: Frédéric Dabrowski @ 2019-02-22 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coq-club, gdr-im, types-announce, concurrency, security, gdr.gpl,
	compilation-news, annonces, caml-list, lamha.lifo, gt-verif
  Cc: frederic.dabrowski

sorry for the repost, it seems the attached pdf in the previous mail was
corrupted

  *Fully-funded 3-years **Phd **scolarship**at
  Universit**é**d’Orl**é**ans, France*

  *
  *

  *Reactive Synchronous Programming**: Semantics and applications to IOT*

  *
  *

*Advisors :*W. Bousdira, F. Dabrowski

*Research Team :*LIFO/LMV

*Theme :*Concurrency semantics

      *Laboratory*

The Laboratory of Fundamental Computer Science of Orleans (LIFO, EA
4022) is a laboratory of the University of Orleans and INSA Center-Val
de Loire. Research conducted at LIFO ranges from algorithmics to natural
language processing, from automatic learning to massive parallel
computing, from verification and certification to system security.

      *Team*

The aim of the LMV team is to improve the understanding of safety and
security of computer systems. From "partial order" logic to usual
programming languages, the team members work on these questions at
different levels of abstraction.

*Funding : *Fully-funded 3-years scholarship from the French Ministry
for Education and Research

      *Subject :***The reactive synchronous programming model [9] is a
      relaxation of the ESTEREL model [6]. In the latter, a collection
      of processes progress by successive phases of global
      synchronization (“ clock ticks ”) and communicate by events. At
      each instant (a phase between two ticks) each component reacts to
      the presence / absence of events. While the ESTEREL model solves
      the problem of causality posed by the instantaneous reaction to
      absence by restricting the expressivity of the language, the
      synchronous reactive model delays reaction to absence (the absence
      of a signal can not be decided before the end of an instant).
      Several works have focused on the semantic study of languages
      derived from this model [2, 5, 3] and on the analysis of the
      properties of such programs [4, 12]. Other works have successfully
      studied the possibility of using this programming model in the
      context of mobility [7]. Implementations of this programming model
      have been proposed for several languages like C, Scheme, Ocaml and
      Java [8, 13, 10, 11]. In [9], the authors propose a version of
      this model supporting strong security properties.

In this thesis, we will focus on a purely functional approach of the
synchronous reactive model (existing languages have imperative
features). As a first step, the selected candidate will have to carry
out the semantic study of a programming language based on this model. An
obvious starting point will be the article [1]. In a second step, the
definition of desirable properties for the programs of this language
will lead to the implementation of verification tools dedicated to these
properties. The different developments will have to be formalized using
the Coq proof assistant. Depending on the results obtained, the
automatic extraction of code from the latter may be considered.

From an applied point of view the objective of this thesis is to propose
a high-level programming language for the Internet Of Objects. In
particular, such a language should make it possible to deploy a program,
conceived in a global manner, on the different actors of a communicating
scenario.

      *Application*

We are happy to provide more details to potential applicants. Requests
for additional information regarding the project’s content/motivation,
other informal enquiries, and formal applications can be sent to
Frédéric Dabrowski (frederic.dabrowski@univ-orleans.fr). Formal
applications must include:

•A motivation letter

•A cv, including a list of courses with grades

•A copy of the master’s thesis (if already available)

•The name of at least one scientist able and willing to provide a reference

Deadline for applications: May 15th 2019

*References*

[1] M. Abadi and G. Plotkin. A model of cooperative threads. In
/Proceedings of the 36th Annual ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on
Principles of Programming Languages/, POPL ’09, pages 29–40, New York,
NY, USA, 2009. ACM.

[2] R. M. Amadio. The sl synchronous language, revisited. /The Journal
of Logic and Algebraic Programming/, 70(2):121 – 150, 2007. Algebraic
Process Calculi: The First Twenty Five Years and Beyond.

[3] R. M. Amadio. A synchronous pi-calculus. /Inf. Comput./,
205(9):1470–1490, 2007.

[4] R. M. Amadio and F. Dabrowski. Feasible reactivity in a synchronous
pi-calculus. In /Proceedings of the 9th ACM SIGPLAN International
Conference on Principles and Practice of Declarative Programming/, PPDP
’07, pages 221–230, New York, NY, USA, 2007. ACM.

[5] R. M. Amadio and M. Dogguy. On affine usages in signal-based
communication. /CoRR/, abs/0804.1729, 2008.

[6] G. Berry and G. Gonthier. The esterel synchronous programming
language: design, semantics, implementation. /Science of Computer
Programming/, 19(2):87 – 152, 1992.

[7] G. Boudol. Ulm: A core programming model for global computing. In
D. Schmidt, editor, /Programming Languages and Systems/, pages 234–248,
Berlin, Heidelberg, 2004. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.

[8] F. Boussinot. Fairthreads: mixing cooperative and preemptive threads
in c. /Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience/,
18:445–469, 2006.

[9] F. Boussinot and F. Dabrowski. Safe Reactive Programming: the
FunLoft Proposal. In /MULTIPROG’08/, pages –, Sweden, 2008.

[10] F. Boussinot and J.-F. Susini. The sugarcubes tool box: A reactive
java framework. /Softw. Pract. Exper./, 28(14):1531–1550, Dec. 1998.

[11] L. Mandel and C. Pasteur. Réactivité des systèmes coopératifs : le
cas de ReactiveML. In D. Pous and C. Tasson, editors, /JFLA - Journées
francophones des langages applicatifs/, Aussois, France, Feb. 2013.
Damien Pous and Christine Tasson.

[12] A. A. Matos, G. Boudol, and I. Castellani. Typing noninterference
for reactive programs. /The Journal of Logic and Algebraic Programming/,
72(2):124 – 156, 2007. Programming Language Interference and Dependence.

[13] M. Serrano, F. Boussinot, and B. Serpette. Scheme fair threads. In
/Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on
Principles and Practice of Declarative Programming/, PPDP ’04, pages
203–214, New York, NY, USA, 2004. ACM.

* [Caml-list] Master Internship in computer science at Université d’Orléans, France
@ 2019-02-22 14:40 ` Frédéric Dabrowski
From: Frédéric Dabrowski @ 2019-02-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coq-club, gdr-im, types-announce, concurrency, security, gdr.gpl,
	compilation-news, annonces, caml-list, lamha.lifo, gt-verif