* OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-27  0:11 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2005-02-27  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

is a Library-Quick-reference Guide for OCaml available,
so to have an overview on Names and Types and a *very short*
explanation on it's functionality for each function of each
lib that is part of the OCaml-distribution?

If yes, where can i find it?

If no, wouldn't it a good idea to create something like that?

For many other programs Quick-References/Short-references are
available, and that would shorten development times under
OCaml, especially for people who are not always using each function
and often do not know where to find a certain one (e.g. Sys-module?
Filename-module? Unix-module?, when looking for file_exists or
rename or so).

With such a quick-refcard on my table I would be much faster
than I'am now in OCaml-development.

This may be useful for other programmers to.

Could such a refcard be added to the official OCaml
documentation, please?!

Regards,
   Oliver Bandel

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-27 14:26 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-02-27 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sunday 27 February 2005 00:11, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> is a Library-Quick-reference Guide for OCaml available?

Do you use ocamlbrowser?

http://ffconsultancy.com

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-27 14:35   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2005-02-27 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:26:40PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 00:11, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > is a Library-Quick-reference Guide for OCaml available?
>
> Do you use ocamlbrowser?

Have not tried it.

Does it help?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-27 18:12     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-02-27 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sunday 27 February 2005 14:35, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Have not tried it.
>
> Does it help?

Absolutely! It gives a graphical depiction of compilation units and the
hierarchies of modules they contain. Clicking on a member gives you its type
and then clicking on "Impl" or "Intf" gives you the implementation (.ml) or
interface (.mli), respectively. Functions in the core library are documented
in their interface. You can add extra directories to the listing (I often add
lablGL) and even your own code.

I'm underselling it too, as it contains a color syntax highlighting editor
with type inference feedback and numerous other goodies. All in all an
excellent program. My only gripe is the 3mm-high characters on my dangerously
high-res monitor.

You'll find an illustrated description of how to use ocamlbrowser on page
50... :-)

http://ffconsultancy.com

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-27 21:05     ` Christophe TROESTLER
From: Christophe TROESTLER @ 2005-02-27 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:26:40PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 February 2005 00:11, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > > is a Library-Quick-reference Guide for OCaml available?
> >
> > Do you use ocamlbrowser?
>
> Have not tried it.

You should.  It provides easy browsing of modules and search
capacilities.

ChriS

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-27 23:47       ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2005-02-27 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:12:56PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 14:35, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > Have not tried it.
> >
> > Does it help?
>
> Absolutely! It gives a graphical depiction of compilation units and the
> hierarchies of modules they contain. Clicking on a member gives you its type
> and then clicking on "Impl" or "Intf" gives you the implementation (.ml) or
> interface (.mli), respectively. Functions in the core library are documented
> in their interface. You can add extra directories to the listing (I often add
> lablGL) and even your own code.

Well, I have now seen that here is no ocamlbrowser installed.
The resason seems to be that here is no complete X11/XFree
development environment. I have OS-X here and there is a
X11 binary, but it seems, here are no headers and libs
to compile own X11-code...?!

On my old Linux box I had ocamlbrowser installed, but never used.

Now I have no possibility to use this tool. :(

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-27 23:48       ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2005-02-27 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 10:05:18PM +0100, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> > > Do you use ocamlbrowser?
> >
> > Have not tried it.
>
> You should.  It provides easy browsing of modules and search
> capacilities.

It depends on Tk-stuff, right?
Well, so I can't use it here. :(

Or is there anybody out there who uses ocamlbrowser on OS-X?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-28  1:19         ` Kyle Ross
From: Kyle Ross @ 2005-02-28  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

 > Well, I have now seen that here is no ocamlbrowser installed. The
 > resason seems to be that here is no complete X11/XFree development
 > environment. I have OS-X here and there is a X11 binary, but it
 > seems, here are no headers and libs to compile own X11-code...?!

I use OS X with XDarwin (http://www.xdarwin.org) and ocamlbrowser
works perfectly.

//cheers
-Kyle

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-28  9:06         ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2005-02-28  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oliver; +Cc: caml-list

From: Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>

> Well, I have now seen that here is no ocamlbrowser installed.
> The resason seems to be that here is no complete X11/XFree
> development environment. I have OS-X here and there is a
> X11 binary, but it seems, here are no headers and libs
> to compile own X11-code...?!

You just have to install the X11 SDK package, which is included in the
developper tools you got with OSX (it is not installed by default).
You can also get it from the X11 download page at apple.
For tcl/tk, you can compile it yourself, or install it through fink or
darwinports. Be sure to install the X11 version.
It is also possible to use labltk/camltk with the aqua version of
tcl/tk, but unfortunately this has some strange side-effects with
ocamlbrowser.

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml-Libs / Quick reference as pdf on some pages?!
@ 2005-02-28  9:06       ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2005-02-28  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:12:56PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 14:35, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > Have not tried it.
> >
> > Does it help?
>
> Absolutely! It gives a graphical depiction of compilation units and the
> hierarchies of modules they contain.

That is nice, but I ask for a different thing.

I looked for a library reference card, that documents
OCaml's libraries as they come in the distribution.

I want be faste in locating a function of the standard
library or of the added libraries like Unix and such stuff,
and I want it as a piece of paper that contains all information
on a piece of DIN A 4 paper, hoping that all stuff can be contained
on one or two pages.
Such a thing with 6 point letters... which can be laid on my desk
near by my computer and that helps me to find functions quicker.

It would be nice to add such thing to the OCaml documentation.

Ciao,
   Oliver