* [Caml-list] Threads question...
@ 2004-07-19 22:33 Corey O'Connor
From: Corey O'Connor @ 2004-07-19 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

"The threads library is implemented by time-sharing on a single
processor. It will not take advantage of multi-processor machines.
Using this library will therefore never make programs run faster.
However, many programs are easier to write when structured as several
communicating processes."

However, the documentation states that the native threads library is
implemented using the system's native threading. (POSIX threads, in my
case)

Is the quote above still consistent with the native threads implementation?
--
-Corey O'Connor

* Threads question
@ 2007-10-10 14:43 Raj Bandyopadhyay
From: Raj Bandyopadhyay @ 2007-10-10 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all

I am using OCaml threads for an application that I am building.
However, I don't require concurrency (which OCaml threads do not
provide anyway). I'm using it only because it makes it far easier to
express my algorithm.

I was wondering if there is a more lightweight thread library out
there which works at the native code level and does not use system-
level threads? I'd like to avoid the performance overhead of
pthreads, if possible. The OCaml threads library does provide a vm-
level thread, but it works only for bytecode :(

Thanks
Raj